Remotely Access Cakewalk by Bandlab

Codefreq

Question

Hey all,

Not sure if this is the best place to put this,

but what the hey:

I have an unmanageably large library of instruments on a powerful computer that’s impossible to bring portably. If it’s not a feature yet, I’d like to request a feature and/or app that would allow my, say, laptop or even iPad, to the extent it can, be able to load projects in cakewalk remotely over the internet and use the resources of the stationary desktop to help with rendering audio FX, VSTi’s, MIDI, and audio data.

In the mean time, What’s the best way to work on Cakewalk remotely?

Codefreq

4 answers to this question

@Codefreq - I have a similar issue ie how to access my main DAW remotely from say a lightweight laptop while working away from home. I've tried the built in windows RDP (which kind of works but the audio is pretty choppy and can be a bit laggy even if on the same LAN). One factor that helped improve, but not resolve the choppiness, is to use gpedit to set the following (thanks to J D Hodge for this):

#1 on the server (the machine you are connecting to)

Using the Group Policy editor, Go to Computer Configuration:Administrative Templates:Windows Components: Remote Desktop Session Host:Device and Resource Redirection. Set “Limit audio playback quality.”  to “Enabled,” and set “Audio Quality” option “to High”.

#2 on the client (the machine you are connecting FROM) save and edit the RDP file for the connection and add  set audioqualitymode:i:2 to the file (you can use Notepad or a similar text editor to do this). Its saved in your local documents folder as default.rdp.

Hopefully this gives you enough to carry on some kind of remote composing🤞. If you do find any alternative then please let me know.

GBT

@John Vere - not a really helpful reply. As you might know the only way this would work is if the external drive folders were an exact replica of the PC folder structure but remembering that any saves onto the mobile laptop would not be replicated on the main PC as CWP files use local relative folder reference so would look for files on the laptop not the PC (I found this out after spending an age installing all my VSTs & plugins onto a laptop only to find out that the changes I made to my songs were not replicated to the main PC even though I saved the CWP file to dropbox . If you do have a solution then please share (for either option 👍)

Edited by GBTBassist

I often give very short answers in this QA sub forum because just like this thread as an example , 1 post OP   So why waste time typing out long answers unless you know they are actually going to be engaging with the topic. 
I do a lot of remote recording and swap projects between computer all the time. I also use external hard drives to transfer projects. They always work for me. You have choices. Some are easier than others. 

Edited by John Vere