Is this Master Too Loud? (LUFS/Youleanmeter)

Marcello

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

Yes I think you are going to get it someday for sure it’s a life long project for me. Best thing I ever did when I started was read a couple of books. One was https://bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Yamaha_Sound_Reinforcement_Handbook_2nd_Edition_Gary_Davis_Ralph_Jones.pdf

The other was 

http://index-of.es/Varios-2/Handbook for Sound Engineers.pdf

Amazing thanks

Looking at your graphics, it looks like you have the Youlean set at the default of -23 LUFS (that's where the red bar starts).  I dunno if the free version can be changed, but the purchased one (cheap at around 30$) you can change all that (see Settings, the cog-wheel - there are a few different windows of options).  You would get a completely different read out if you set it up to -14 LUFS.

Anyway, just mentioning this.  Good luck.

On 8/4/2021 at 2:55 AM, Ted K. Ling said:

Looking at your graphics, it looks like you have the Youlean set at the default of -23 LUFS (that's where the red bar starts).  I dunno if the free version can be changed, but the purchased one (cheap at around 30$) you can change all that (see Settings, the cog-wheel - there are a few different windows of options).  You would get a completely different read out if you set it up to -14 LUFS.

Anyway, just mentioning this.  Good luck.

mmm ok than if you can change the meter settings, what do you need the meter for? I mean if I need the meter to tell me not me telling the meter LOL

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

mmm ok than if you can change the meter settings, what do you need the meter for? I mean if I need the meter to tell me not me telling the meter LOL

Different people have different needs, as far as levels they are working to.  Some use -18LUFS, others stick with -23.  The ability to change this is to allow the graphic to truly represent their "goal".  On your first graphic you had an excessive amount of overs (the red dots at the top of the graphic) which (I think) made you "panic" a bit, like "WTF is going on here ...".  If, for example, you had Youlean set up @ -14LUFS (which of course is louder than the default -23), you would not have seen so many of the "overs".  But, this obviously does not change your mix ... it's only to give you a clue what's going on.  Also, you can get a graphic representation of dynamic range, not just loudness, by clicking on the oscilloscope button.

But you've moved on and are getting great info from others here.  My post was only a heads-up in case you didn't know too much about Youlean.

Good luck with you productions.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ted K. Ling said:

Different people have different needs, as far as levels they are working to.  Some use -18LUFS, others stick with -23.  The ability to change this is to allow the graphic to truly represent their "goal".  On your first graphic you had an excessive amount of overs (the red dots at the top of the graphic) which (I think) made you "panic" a bit, like "WTF is going on here ...".  If, for example, you had Youlean set up @ -14LUFS (which of course is louder than the default -23), you would not have seen so many of the "overs".  But, this obviously does not change your mix ... it's only to give you a clue what's going on.  Also, you can get a graphic representation of dynamic range, not just loudness, by clicking on the oscilloscope button.

But you've moved on and are getting great info from others here.  My post was only a heads-up in case you didn't know too much about Youlean.

Good luck with you productions.

I think I'm getting it, guys, the post has been going for quite long, thank you all.

I basically didn't figure out that I had to balance the threshold in the limiter with the input gain,  so I increased the input gain quite a bit to stay below 0db and then decreased the threshold, now the gain reduction is not that heavy and persistant in the whole track, it sounds slightly lower then what I expected but I'd rather not risk to squash it and have a lower volume.