French Horn VST....

SampleTank 4 MAX has some great brass, including French Horn with articulations! However, it's neither free or cheap! 😉

The Kontakt Factory Selection (Player) and the full Kontakt Factory Library has a muted trumpet.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Bastable said:

That's a very good question. 

Without intending to sound facetious in the least, I shall go away and research the question, and return with an answer.

If you did you would know the answer. Even if you only have Kontakt Player you would know. 😀

I ask because the Kontakt universe offers an amazing number and depth of virtual instruments, ranging in price from free to several hundred dollars. But the free and cheap ones require the full Kontakt product, not the free player version. Kontakt itself comes bundled with a lot of sampled instruments, including an acceptable French horn.

4 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

If you did you would know the answer. Even if you only have Kontakt Player you would know. 😀

Oh, I know I have Kontakt something-or-other. But as I haven't ponied up any money, I suspect it's not Full.

Right now I have a random crashing problem. I'll be back on this less pressing problem shortly.

Thank you, all.

• Like 1

Spitfire Audio BBC Symphonic Orchestra Discover edition is free if you sign up, and then wait 14 days for a license. Or pay $49, no waiting...

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

It has strings, brass, woodwinds, and percussion sections. In brass there are horns, trumpets, trombones, bass trombones, & tuba.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, msmcleod said:

There's also Sonivox Orchestral Companion Brass, which has solo brass instruments, including a french horn.

It goes on sale quite often ( I think I paid about £5 for mine), but I can't see any decent deals ATM.

I forgot about that one! I have that orchestral companion bundle, but it lost a home on my disk when I needed the space for SampleTank 4 Max, and a few others.

If you can get it really cheap, the samples are decent (24-bit dual velocity) with 6 keyswitch selectable articulations, and it's useful in that regard. So, if you just need a horn, then sure! 👍

Just be aware that the plugin UI has a very basic, single instrument window for one preset at a time, with no multis (which might be an advantage regarding CPU). It needs 15GB free space for download and installing (5 GB download + 5GB for the unzip folder + 5GB for the permanent sample library). iLok license manager required for activation.

The product is also apparently no longer being developed, yet still for sale. So wait for a deal! https://sonivoxmi.com/products/details/orchestral-companion-brass

Edited by abacab

On 7/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, JoeGBradford said:

Sorry I forgot to post the link in my earlier post! https://www.orchestraltools.com/store/collections/majestic-horn

Yet another player! This SINE Player seems to be a new breed of sample library player, with a few new tricks! I was not aware of this one. Watch the videos on the website.

The majestic horn is well worth 2 euro! Nice legato.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abacab said:

Yet another player! This SINE Player seems to be a new breed of sample library player, with a few new tricks! I was not aware of this one. Watch the videos on the website.

The majestic horn is well worth 2 euro! Nice legato.

Several very good free libraries too! 🙂