Cannot hear guitar or record guitar

ikelly

Question

Hi everyone,

First time user of Cakewalk here. I'm trying to simply get set up so I can play my guitar and hear it, but I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do. I am connected to Cakewalk via a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I have it selected as both the input and output, and my headphones are plugged into the focusrite (i know that this is working, because if I listen to other audio, it plays through my headphones, which are plugged into the interface). playback timing master is set to the focusrite. I create an audio track, and make sure that the input is set to the correct input on the interface (left side, input 1). Input echo is on. What am I doing wrong?

Additionally - i can also see the playback meter rising and falling when i play the guitar, so the signal is getting there. just not getting anything back thru headphones.

Edited by ikelly

3 answers to this question

Hi ikelly and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

Just a couple things to check.  Is the output of the track going to the Master bus?  Also, check the Master bus and make sure it is going to your Focusrite's outputs (speakers).

If those two check out okay, get back to us and we will troubleshoot further,

Kind regards,

tecknot

16 hours ago, ikelly said:

Hi everyone,

First time user of Cakewalk here. I'm trying to simply get set up so I can play my guitar and hear it, but I can't seem to get it to work no matter what I do. I am connected to Cakewalk via a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I have it selected as both the input and output, and my headphones are plugged into the focusrite (i know that this is working, because if I listen to other audio, it plays through my headphones, which are plugged into the interface). playback timing master is set to the focusrite. I create an audio track, and make sure that the input is set to the correct input on the interface (left side, input 1). Input echo is on. What am I doing wrong?

Additionally - i can also see the playback meter rising and falling when i play the guitar, so the signal is getting there. just not getting anything back thru headphones.

Hi ikelly,

I use a Scarlett 2i4 to record my guitar. Here is a few tips and a video to hopefully get you up and running. Let me know if you have more questions. I was also a little confused at first when I started out with Cakewalk, but it is easy to get past this small hurdle and get into enjoying Cakewalk.

To hear your guitar, you must have:

1. Your Scarlett input in which your guitar is connected must be correctly selected. Which I believe it is since you see the meters moving.

2. Input echo button must be active to hear anything

To record:

3. You must arm the track using the track's record button before you start recording using the top toolbar record button.

Here is a screen shot of these:

image.png.6aa1b433f778c43ed73bef8fb5eea511.png

If this does not get you to hear and record your guitar, take a look at this video which is more in depth:

I hope this helps you out!