AAS All That Jazz

Magic Russ

If I have only Strum Session, is there still any way to utilize the AAS soundpacks (for GS-2)? Like for example do they come with MIDI files included or it's just proprietary GS-2 bank and I can do nothing with it? I would me mostly interested in getting the MIDI out of the styles to be able to play them with another guitar VIs.

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

If I have only Strum Session, is there still any way to utilize the AAS soundpacks (for GS-2)? Like for example do they come with MIDI files included or it's just proprietary GS-2 bank and I can do nothing with it? I would me mostly interested in getting the MIDI out of the styles to be able to play them with another guitar VIs.

All of the AAS sound packs come with the free AAS Player. However, the packs will not work in the Session instruments. You will need the full  AAS versions in order to import and fully utilize the packs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

All of the AAS sound packs come with the free AAS Player. However, the packs will not work in the Session instruments. You will need the full  AAS versions in order to import and fully utilize the packs.

Oh right, the AAS Player, Will have to check if it's sending MIDI Out or not, that could be one more way.

17 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Oh right, the AAS Player, Will have to check if it's sending MIDI Out or not, that could be one more way.

Don't think so. MIDI out is grayed out in the Player plugin (as well as a couple of full AAS instrument versions that I have)...

Edited by abacab

But AAS are great folks and their support is responsive! Plus they give stuff away all the time... :)

I eventually bought the full versions of Chromaphone and Ultra Analog. No regrets! Have the Session versions of the rest.

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

Strum Session 2 and Strum GS-2 have MIDI files you can access outside of the plugin. On my computer, they are store in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\Strum GS-2\MIDI Library

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\Strum Session 2\MIDI Library

Not sure where they would be stored on a Mac.

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

That's two different paths. Not sure how much it would be useful with GS-2 dedicated soundpaks.

The Soundpacks are not dedicated to GS-2. As has already been noted, the packs also work with AAS player. The MIDI files I pointed to, are the same MIDI files used to generate loops in Strum GS-2 and in AAS player. When you install a pack, they are installed in the Strum GS-2 path, even if you do not own Strum GS-2. The Session path only contains the MIDI files for the Session factory library. 

Having said that, I am not sure how useful the MIDI files are when not used with the soundpaks. Maybe that is what you meant.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

9 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

The MIDI files I pointed to, are the same MIDI files used to generate loops in Strum GS-2 and in AAS player. When you install a pack, they are installed in the Strum GS-2 path, even if you do not own Strum GS-2.

Doug, are you sure the soundpack installs MIDI files there? That was exactly my concern because I was thinking that everything comes inside the GS-2 soundpack bank file and you have to drag&drop the MIDI sequences from the plugin GUI. If you're right though, then that's exactly what I was looking for.

The Soundpacks are not dedicated to GS-2. As has already been noted, the packs also work with AAS player. The MIDI files I pointed to, are the same MIDI files used to generate loops in Strum GS-2 and in AAS player. When you install a pack, they are installed in the Strum GS-2 path, even if you do not own Strum GS-2. The Session path only contains the MIDI files for the Session factory library. 

Having said that, I am not sure how useful the MIDI files are when not used with the soundpaks. Maybe that is what you meant.

They are probably all in C and interpolated to match whatever pattern and chord you are playing.

Edited by Magic Russ

16 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Doug, are you sure the soundpack installs MIDI files there? That was exactly my concern because I was thinking that everything comes inside the GS-2 soundpack bank file and you have to drag&drop the MIDI sequences from the plugin GUI. If you're right though, then that's exactly what I was looking for.

I just installed Post Rock on a machine that did not have any AAS products installed on it, and sure enough, the midi files were installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\Strum GS-2\MIDI Library. However, as Magic Russ has stated, the midi files contain only the strum patterns one octave above middle C. For example Downstroke is one octave above middle C, Palm Mute is C#, Upstroke is D, etc. You could use the midi files if you had another VI that used a similar mechanism but you would most likely have to remap the midi keys. 

Big thanks for your efforts!

However, as Magic Russ has stated, the midi files contain only the strum patterns one octave above middle C. For example Downstroke is one octave above middle C, Palm Mute is C#, Upstroke is D, etc. You could use the midi files if you had another VI that used a similar mechanism but you would most likely have to remap the midi keys.

Trying to understand what you're saying here. By saying "only strum patterns" are you referring to articulations? So is there no musical content in them? Say I'd want buy a latin, reggae or this jazz pack, I hear some melodies or chord progressions there. Where would they be placed then? If they are in the MIDI files, just playing all in C key only, then that's fine for me.

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

So is there no musical content in them?

No. Nothing musical. Only info on telling Strum how to strum. IOW up, down, mute, ect.

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

Say I'd want buy a latin, reggae or this jazz pack, I hear some melodies or chord progressions there. Where would they be placed then?

They are something that you can drag into your DAW from Strum that will be used in Strum, if that makes sense to you. I don't think the info is useful to another program.

IOW these are midi files to tell Strum how to play a certain strumming pattern. This pattern can vary pretty much like normally playing a guitar.

These same midi notes are mapped on the keyboard that allows a keyboard player to do this on the fly, to obtain a realistic playing style. 

A user can create these file themselves too.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, Philip G Hunt said:

I had a listen to the demo and it is....not very inspiring

The fact that it's so buried in the mix probably tells you all that you need to know. GS2 is very much in need of an upgrade now.

5 hours ago, paulo said:

GS2 is very much in need of an upgrade now.

It is really geared towards a keyboard player playing a guitar in real time. IOW, a good keyboard player could make some good sounding guitar tracks with it.

• Like 1