VST2 get along w/ VST3

Kawika

I have a Fishman TriplePlay controller that is a VST2. I have  2 synth files for Spectronics  Omnisphere; a VST2  and VST3.

The Vst2Trip can only find the  Omni VSt2 which is a problem because the Omni VST2 is not up to date.

Question : Do Vst2s and Vst3s get along generally and work together?

thanks,

David

I don't use Omnisphere, but as with any plugin that comes in both VST2 and VST3 versions, you can choose whichever version of the plugin instrument you want to insert.

Then your MIDI controller input can be routed to whatever active track has your instrument (either VST2 or VST3).

Exactly. Which synth gets the data is determined by the MIDI channel/port alone. Assuming your MIDI data does not contain commands that only VST3 supports (e.g. per-note pitch bend), then it should react exactly the same as its VST2 counterpart. That goes for Omnisphere, too. VST3 can have multiple MIDI inputs, so if you made use of that feature (assuming Cakewalk supports it) you'd not be able to, say, swap out the VST3 version for the VST2 version.

• Like 1

I seem to remember hearing something about the VST3 version of Omnisphere having issues not found in the VST2 version - can't  find the post...
Maybe having a senior moment...

Did find this: 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 12:34 AM, TheSteven said:

I seem to remember hearing something about the VST3 version of Omnisphere having issues not found in the VST2 version - can't  find the post...
Maybe having a senior moment...

Did find this: 

yup, thats was my post..ive just updated to latest version where Cakewalk stated in one of their bug fixes:

"Projects saved with older version of Omnisphere open with input ports assigned to incorrect instruments."

• Like 1