Extend the power of templates

I've mentioned something like this before, but I'm taking it a step further:

What if there was an option to record EVERYTHING in a template: tracks, plugins, bit & sample rates, control panel layout, and things like tempo grid display.

I work on a lot of different kinds of projects with a lot of different settings: 44.1k podcasts, 48k recording projects sent to me, and 96k recording projects I do myself. It would be GREAT to be able to store all the necessary layout info for each type of project in a template. So for podcasts, I have a reduced control panel, no visible tempo grid on the tracks, and it sets the sample rate to 44.1k. Then for my music recording projects, I can have a 48k and a 96k template that automatically changes the sample rate, displays the tempo grid, and gives me my talored control panel.
This would also be very helpful for people who use Cakewalk for video work as well. To set up with video on, turn off the tempo grid, and a modified control panel for their purposes. I think this would help a lot of people who work on diverse kinds of projects.

@Moving Air Productions

Templates are already very capable of doing more than we may be aware of, such as key bindings, data exchange and control of external hardware and anything that accepts MIDI.  One just needs to take a moment to read up on templates in the Cakewalk Reference Guide.

Now when it comes to changing sample rates and bit depths, that's something that must always be under the control of the soundcard and drivers because some setups are so complex and sensitive to sample rate changes, which in many setups also regulates word clock and digital sync with the computer.  A template that forces such a change for anyone who is vulnerable to damaging their gear, would be a lot of angry members....

Now as far as the Cakewalk interface goes, that is all customizable using the "workspace" screensets that allows you to save 10 shortcuts of different screen configurations so that you can toggle between each one that suits your working style.    It even allows you to save and change your displays and the color themes as well.  Most dual monitor setups float the transport bar, I collapse mine most the time and use key binding commands.  Each section such as Inspector, Track view, console view, browser, synth rack, piano roll, sample slicer,....all have the option to float and resize to your liking, arrange them to other monitors, use the multidock option to make the windows function like multiple tabs in your internet browser.  The synth rack in particular has far greater capability with assigning automation to virtual instruments when it is in the multidock.  

If you are a fan of templates, I am about to upload about 25 templates that are each designed for a particular need and work flow, a lot of MIDI and sysx enable hardware templates will be included..

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:23 PM, Moving Air Productions said:

That's interesting. How do you get it to save the control panel in the template? I can't seem to get mine to do that.

You have to save the workspace with the template. You first save the workspace and then the template. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 4:29 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

You have to save the workspace with the template. You first save the workspace and then the template. 

That's really good to know. Thank you.

I would still like to see it integrated into the "Save As..." menu. Just have a checkbox that says "Save workspace with template" or something like that. Or a side list similar to the Export page: A list of check boxes. It can be "Save with template: Workspace, Bit rate," etc. That's all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 2:49 PM, Fred's Gratis Scores said:

I use templates extensively and include:

• Tracks and track settings (Volume, Pan, Gain, MSR/Archive, Pro channel, MIDI settings like negative delay, etc.)
  • Track FX
  • Routing, Buses, etc.
  • Instruments and VSTi settings (it even remembers that Kontakt instruments are purged)
  • Control bar layout
  • Articulations

image.thumb.png.d19f1bb322364983976099c86c601d27.png

Care to share that template?

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, hockeyjx said:

Care to share that template?

Sorry for the delay, I've been away from this forum for a while "summering". :) Here's my completed template (the screen shot was still in progress) using articulations. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pVg6uScgS-5iPYV8btD4gJV8dzSvbh1W/view?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1