Ezbass $119 at best service

kevin H

6 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Certainly MODO for sound. To muddy the waters further the Ample Sound basses sound terrific and have a different set of songwriting tools to EZBass and should be included in a comparison. Ample's riffer function is very powerful with a large library of parts that really nail things like string selection for greater realism,  EZ is better for chord progressions.

Amplesound is having summer sale and best service prices have been reduced appropriately.  Best service coupon works through July 23.

https://www.bestservice.com/ample_sound.html

I don’t own any Amplesound libraries so this complicates things hehe

• Like 1

I demoed EZBass today.. still tinkering with it. it seems more of a songwriting tool. for very straight standard songwriting formats. I tried the AI and it got all messed up with the guitar voicing i use on one track.  it came up with sort of gibberish parts.

RE sound.. I think my Kontact NI Scarbee sounds better but lacks the articulations of EZbass. so EZ sounds more realistic but I don't think it sounds better than NI for my tastes. maybe i don't know how to use it properly. i was able to copy the midi out of EZbass into DAW and use a different bass VI.. but it does not have the articulations.. 😞

Edited by telecode 101

On 7/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, kevin H said:

I’ve only had ezbass for a day but something I thought was really nice was converting guitar audio into bass midi.  I can see this saving me tons of time

You don't need EZ bass for that. You can already do it in CW. Just drag the audio clip to a midi track.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulo said:

You don't need EZ bass for that. You can already do it in CW. Just drag the audio clip to a midi track.

Not sure if you checked out the video but a nice feature was having ezbass find similar grooves as what it converted from audio from its library.  So seems like a nice way to spice up what it captured instead of straight audio to midi conversion.  Also, I’m not too familiar with CW audio to midi but ezbass was pretty good about capturing articulations like slides, etc.  Although telecode mentioned some of this was lost when exporting onto midi track so I’ll need to try this out myself. 

5 minutes ago, kevin H said:

Not sure if you checked out the video but a nice feature was having ezbass find similar grooves as what it converted from audio from its library.  So seems like a nice way to spice up what it captured instead of straight audio to midi conversion.  Also, I’m not too familiar with CW audio to midi but ezbass was pretty good about capturing articulations like slides, etc.  Although telecode mentioned some of this was lost when exporting onto midi track so I’ll need to try this out myself. 

I still need to work through the other YT tutorials on EZbass. i havent seen the feature where it suggests other bass parts that are based on what you recorded in midi.

it seems articulations are particular to tooktrack. when i tried the EZbass midi with NI Scarbee. no articulations. just notes. 😞  i guess not the end of the world. but the idea of having to start a project or chord framework within EZbass or manually replicating the existing chord progression in EZbass seems like it might be a problem. i am checking out tooktrack forums to see if this is indeed the case.

1 minute ago, telecode 101 said:

I still need to work through the other YT tutorials on EZbass. i havent seen the feature where it suggests other bass parts that are based on what you recorded in midi.

Check out the video I posted  earlier in this thread. He briefly covers having the tool suggest a similar groove.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kevin H said:

Check out the video I posted  earlier in this thread. He briefly covers having the tool suggest a similar groove.

yeah. the metal video. similar grooves is cool features.

hmm .. show similar grooves crashes cubase here. also, the alignment is little  whack. bar 849 in cubase seems to align to bar 214 in EZbass.. but that i can work around

updates. so looks like it doesn't crash on a smaller project that is a few bars long. works fine. no idea what to say about it. either way.. it is cool software. defiantly can make a bass sound more realistic than playing on midi keyboard.

updates: all good. i found the manual.apparently lots of things it can do with the articulations.

https://www.toontrack.com/manual/ezbass/6/6-2-the-grid-editor/#6-2-3-articulations

updates: after extensive demoing.. i picked it up.. i guess i will get accustomed to the song mode. you can still articulations as per NI Scarbeee but you lose out the advanced articulations Toontrack has

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

I decided to go with both... hopefully. I snagged modo sale and used jam points to get for $69.  I found ezbass on ebay dirt cheap and am awaiting and hoping it's legit.

I think I saw that ad. Was it this guy?

image.thumb.jpeg.1de212d39425e3cfb2492f113299339b.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I decided to go with both... hopefully. I snagged modo sale and used jam points to get for $69.  I found ezbass on ebay dirt cheap and am awaiting and hoping it's legit.

What is super cheap? Usually on Ebay, it's scam and pirated softwares when it's too low...

19 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

What is super cheap? Usually on Ebay, it's scam and pirated softwares when it's too low...

It was listed for 40. My alarm went off but seller's other offerings seem closer to regular price . i figured that since i was leaning towards Modo, getting both for the price of one was a decent risk/reward chance.  

i picked this up on sale. its useful. takes a little getting used to.  i personally don't use the sampled basses within it and just drag and drop the midi into a different midi track and use NI Basses.  To me, the NI Thomas Skarbye Komplete basses sound much better than both of the ones within EZBass. Maybe I just don't know how to use them properly.

What I dont like about EZ is you are forced to work within and around the little song creator within EZ. you can't export that song structure out and import as a root chord progression in chord track in Cubase. Maybe I am missing something. I can't find that option so far.