Would have loved this class

Fleer

The video is awesome and it makes me want to quit my day job.

In January 2018, I took an online class (Andreas Oberg with Artist Works - Jazz Guitar) where I wanted to learn what the teacher played. I made a video of how I extracted what he played and then when I played it, I could see my midi notes and how they compared to his.

It starts around 3 minutes in. My midi on my guitar doesn't pick up the slides very well, but you get the idea.

** I'm mentioning this because in the other MIT video it talked about real-time feedback on a cello performance. **

Edited by Gswitz
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John said:

MIT needs to advertise?

Don't think so John but I would of thought a class like this would be at Berkley College of Music not  MIT.  I know MIT for engineering but I didn't realize they are offering a class like this. It would certainly be a cool class to take

I am not going to say what I really think but let me say this it sounds a bit like "advanced basket weaving" to me. Music technology is a very undefined  subject.  Its also a moving target.  Nothing taught today with apply tomorrow.  However,  Bach would probably love  such a course. I like Bach so.......

21 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Don't think so John but I would of thought a class like this would be at Berkley College of Music not  MIT.  I know MIT for engineering but I didn't realize they are offering a class like this. It would certainly be a cool class to take

I took philosophy classes when I was there. Best environment ever. Guys like Singer and Chomsky ruled that department. And stayed another year at their CMS Center for Media Studies. They also started Media Lab at the crossroads of engineering and music. I guess Ray Kurzweil should have taught there. 

I look back and I wish I had the time to take some more diverse classes. I was a commuter college student and working all different hours to pay for college. I didn't have the luxury to stick around the campus. It was a large urban university too. So college age students that have the luxury of not worrying about paying the bills, partake in  the full offering the University offers.  Okay off my soap-box now.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Fleer said:

Oops. Keep forgetting that thing. Or should I say thong. Which is how it looks on some ...

... a tongue thong. 

I'm all for a pandemic of ladies forced to wear thongs! icon_smile_tongue.gif

(As long as the guys are forced NOT to! 😜 )

• Haha 1