New BANDLAB 10 App released ( phones ) .. Usage with Cakewalk thread

aidan o driscoll

https://blog.bandlab.com/introducing-bandlab-10-0/

Along with the obvious massive visual overhaul, BandLab 10.0 brings major improvements to both the social and creation experience. On top of general fixed and quality-of-life improvements, here’s an overview of some of the biggest changes and new features:

• Your all-new profile page
  • A reworked Replies feature
  • Private accounts
  • A next-generation update to our Mix Editor
  • A brand new Project Page
  • A game-changing new instrument – Sampler
  • A refreshed and remastered Mastering feature
  • Dark mode – coming soon!

Over the last few CW updates we have also seen BL integration additions inside CW. And also in the BK app on our puters.

This new v10 seems to be the app on our phones/tablets BUT with the integration in CW and this new SAMPLER it has maybe some interesting possibilities for us all? 

I have not looked into the integration too much yet, nor the sharing of CW projects between CW itself and the BL Cloud. This could be a thing for collaboration, used as an ideas audio pad & for found sounds while out and about

EDIT - Post below goes through simple process when I tried it this afternoon

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

Here is a short text tute on integration back and forth. Updated yesterday

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022218453-Integration-between-BandLab-and-Cakewalk-

Keep in mind, you'll need to keep your export under the current limits of 12 tracks and 6 minutes of duration to successfully move your tracks to a BandLab project.

OK, that might be an issue, BUT where it could work in collab is to temp mixdown the project to a WAV without the instrument / vocal your collab partner might be contributing. Then when they finished you can import the new track from BL back into your CW project and add as track

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Great to see some privacy improvements there. Also impressed with the addition of a sampler, something we Cakewalk users are watching with envy 😂

My thoughts on that ( sampler ) are this Bandlab app on phone or tablet could become a great FOUND SOUND sample tool when you are out and about, to use in your tracks. Record directly into the Bandlab app DAW on your phone to one of the tracks in a project there and then when you get home, open CW and import that project ( downloads from your a/c in the cloud used by the app ) and work away on it as a regular CW project file 

Works a treat:

796758927_bltoCW1.thumb.jpg.2b054ec3b74da7718f8c90716a49cb19.jpg

Opened BL app on phone. Pressed the + symbol to add new project, pressed RECORD and did so. Then saved it ( went to cloud ). Opened CW .. File Menu, Browse bandlab Projects, opened that window:

2084632521_bltoCW2.thumb.jpg.f53fadf3df0abd7797f9d70a0ab34b15.jpg

Choose the TEST project and it opens in CW as normal. Hassle Free

It would tempt me to get a decent USB Mic for my phone :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

As we can now update CbB in the programme itself, i have no need for Bandlab. So i uninstalled it. 

Otn a collab i prefer OMF files. YMMV.

J

@Jeremy Oakes Do not discount the BL App on your phone as I described above ( read post above this ). You still dont need the BL utility installed on your system for this process. Think of the BL app on your phone as an extension to your CW on your Puter. Not alone an easy way of getting found sounds while out and about on your phone but also a nice way of recording ideas that cross your mind, even humming a melody line. This as well as the Collab possibilities  

( PS - you a lizzy fan :D )

14 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@Jeremy Oakes Do not discount the BL App on your phone as I described above ( read post above this ). You still dont need the BL utility installed on your system for this process. Think of the BL app on your phone as an extension to your CW on your Puter. Not alone an easy way of getting found sounds while out and about on your phone but also a nice way of recording ideas that cross your mind, even humming a melody line. This as well as the Collab possibilities  

( PS - you a lizzy fan :D )

Yes i get it

But i still don’t like it !

And yes, The Boys are most definitely back here 🎸🎸🎸

J

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 6:23 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

My thoughts on that ( sampler ) are this Bandlab app on phone or tablet could become a great FOUND SOUND sample tool when you are out and about, to use in your tracks. Record directly into the Bandlab app DAW on your phone to one of the tracks in a project there and then when you get home, open CW and import that project ( downloads from your a/c in the cloud used by the app ) and work away on it as a regular CW project file

That's already a great way of starting a new project. Or even better a collaboration. The only thing about an integrated sampler though is that some of us would like to drop a one-shot sample right onto it directly in Cakewalk and play like a synth (think 808) or drop a few and play as a drumset. A 3rd party plugin will always compromise the workflow. I already bought Cubase Elements for it.

Edited by chris.r