When Importing a multiple track MIDI file, why only one midi Track is created?[Solved]

kday

Anyone know why only one track is created when I import a multi-track midi file?  I thought Cakewalk automatically created the additional Midi tracks when loading multi track midi files? Am I doing something wrong? I tried several midi files and the same results

Thanks for any help

Edited by kday

It does for me. Are these Cakewalk midi files (WRK)?

Try the attached. I can create a single midi track, highlight it and then import this file getting many tracks.

I'm trying to think if there is a setting that controls this. Are you sure they aren't truly single tracks with everything piled into it? You can do that even if that confuses everybody.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

It does for me. Are these Cakewalk midi files?

Try the attached. I can create a single midi track, highlight it and then import this file getting many tracks.

I'm trying to think if there is a setting that controls this. Are you sure they aren't truly single tracks with everything piled into it? You can do that even if that confuses everybody.

Yeah, I'm sure they're multi-track, as I can see the multi track midi data within the one midi track that loads.  You have a multi track midi file to try?

Thanks

Check your PMs. I sent you a test file. You can Open in Cakewalk, Import or Open With Cakewalk and it should give you multiple tracks.

I can't get it to not open as multiple tracks. If you don't mind, PM me your file and I will try it on my side.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Thanks 1

In the Cakewalk browser. The media tab. Highlight the midifile. Look att the bottom frame and you can see information about the file. If it says midi type 0 it behaves as it should. That midi type act as you describe. It has to be a midifile type 1 to open several tracks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Check your PMs. I sent you a test file. You can Open in Cakewalk, Import or Open With Cakewalk and it should give you multiple tracks.

I can't get it to not open as multiple tracks. If you don't mind, PM me your file and I will try it on my side.

Hey thanks! Yeah your file opened all the tracks, maybe you have a different Midi file type. I trying to find out how to tell the difference.

37 minutes ago, Kurre said:

In the Cakewalk browser. The media tab. Highlight the midifile. Look att the bottom frame and you can see information about the file. If it says midi type 0 it behaves as it should. That midi type act as you describe. It has to be a midifile type 1 to open several tracks.

Hey thanks Kurre, if possible can you screenshot the open media tab I can't figure out how to do this that you've mentioned thanks! If not I'm still looking and thanks!

1 hour ago, Kurre said:

I think you are right about the Midi types. So the thing now is to find out how to export it from a type 0 to a type 1 to separate the midi tracks. Thanks for all your help!

1 minute ago, Kurre said:

Try to save it as a type 1 midi file and then reopen it.

So far that way isn't working on Cakewalk, I'm still trying, there gotta be a way to do this in Cakewalk

Citation from promidi in old Sonar forum.

You could also try "split Channel to Tracks.CAL"

Here is how to do it.

Load your midi file (or import it) and select just that track.
Go to Process menu and click "Run Cal".  A file dialog box will open.  Hopefully the file "split Channel to Tracks.CAL" is listed there. Open that and it will ask you for the first destination track and the MIDI file should be distributed to the various tracks, starting at your destination track.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kurre said:

Citation from promidi in old Sonar forum.

You could also try "split Channel to Tracks.CAL"

Here is how to do it.

Load your midi file (or import it) and select just that track.
Go to Process menu and click "Run Cal".  A file dialog box will open.  Hopefully the file "split Channel to Tracks.CAL" is listed there. Open that and it will ask you for the first destination track and the MIDI file should be distributed to the various tracks, starting at your destination track.

Clicking "Run Cal" after selecting the midi track only brings up the OPEN browser from the Local C disk, Cal scripts folder. I see midi files when i do that.

Clicking "Run Cal" after selecting the midi track only brings up the OPEN browser from the Local C disk, Cal scripts folder.

It seems correct so far. The full path should be C/Cakewalk Content/Cakewalk Core/CAL Scripts.

The first file in my folder is named "ANY_THIN.CAL"

The last file is named "VARYVEL.CAL"

There is no midifiles in my CAL scripts folder.

• Like 1

You could also try:

1. Open the file.

2. Look at the events and note the number of channels

3. Create that many midi tracks.

4.  Go to Edit/Select/By Filter

5. Set the Channel to 1 (or the lowest) and hit Ok. This will highlight only those events on Channel one

6. Copy those with either Edit/Copy or CTRL-C.

7. Paste to the new Channel 1 track

8. Repeat for each channel.

Side note. I do see that Cal file but I don't have any Midi 0 files, only 1 and WRK files from the 1900's.

15 hours ago, kday said:

Clicking "Run Cal" after selecting the midi track only brings up the OPEN browser from the Local C disk, Cal scripts folder. I see midi files when i do that.

Thanks Terry! Yeah I finally found out the way you described here from finding the Youtube video describing that exact process. The visual illustration allowed me to understand what was being said here.  I now see how that process works.  I think my MPC X loads midi files, and may allow the user to save as a type 1 midi file. If it does that, I may have another way to convert the files. Thanks for all your help!

6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Type 1 MIDI files are multi track files. Type 0 are single track. To convert you will have to split channels to tracks.

This can be done using a CAL script. See C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\CAL Scripts\Split Channel to Tracks.cal

I've attached the file below if you cant find it.

Split Channel to Tracks.cal 1.41 kB · 5 downloads

Hey Thanks for all your help and the link and file! And I also found a youtube tutorial on that exact process. It divides notes into tracks, thanks again! If there are more than sixteen tracks in a midi file, but would it still divide the extra tracks in the sixteen, or leave off some midi track data since midi files only hold sixteen tracks of data I wonder?