Looking For A Chord Selection Tool

DallasSteve

I'm looking for a chord selection tool and I haven't found what I want using Google.  A member mentioned Chord Tracks in another thread and when I investigated that it looked very helpful.  In the Cubase Chord Tracks tool it looks like a tool that lets you select your key and then see a structure of the normal chords for that key similar to a circle of fifths (I think it's called).  It looks like maybe it has the ability to play the chords by touching a button.  That seems like it would help me pick chords for a song.  I found something similar on https://www.powerchord.app/progression but it doesn't appear to have the ability to sound the chords to demo them audibly (except by playing an entire sequence of selected chords).  Is there a tool like that which is free or low cost?  I saw something that may do it, but it was over $100.

there are some midi libraries which have just about every possible chord variation, i haven't seen ads recently for them but a search should get your there. the better ones are not free - i'm guessing because of the # provided as well as related documentation. those should be able to be viewed via the browser, or maybe come with their own app/vst. one thing i've been using - HookPad (also not free) but it's allows me to drag chord onto a simple measure based view. can also use melody lines as well. then i export as MIDI and import into CbB. some melodies form the basis for auto-strum guitar parts, and the chords are, er, chords 🙂 the other is band-in-a-box which has some nice auto generate features and ability to export MIDI as well as a vst plugin (which i don't use, no reason, just i don't)...

agreed it would be nice to use the native CW chords though...

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael A.D. said:

Check out Scaler 2.   It costs $59 and will give  you a lifetime of useful information.  And you can try a demo too:

Quoting you, but comment directed at OP....

Whilst I agree that this would cover what you are asking and could be a very useful tool, definitely demo before buying. In my experience it's really quite buggy and prone to freezing up during use in Cakewalk, which is not listed on their list of "approved" DAWs, maybe for this reason.

• Like 1