50% off Scarbee Classic EP-88S and Matrix Expansion

Scott H

are you seeing this problem that this guy Virtuoso reported where there's a sudden change between Bb3 and B3? You can see his post and audio example here https://vi-control.net/community/threads/orange-tree-model-e-rhodes.94529/post-4596993

Wondering about this myself. 

Between this and the fear of hiss I decided to jump on the Scarbee Classic EP 88 with the Matrix upgrade and it's really great. 

I might still pick up the Famous E with the group buy because I love knowing the history of that particular instrument. 

That said.. the more I keep playing with this Scarbee the less I think I need anything else. 

2 hours ago, Craig N said:

Wondering about this myself. 

Between this and the fear of hiss I decided to jump on the Scarbee Classic EP 88 with the Matrix upgrade and it's really great. 

I might still pick up the Famous E with the group buy because I love knowing the history of that particular instrument. 

That said.. the more I keep playing with this Scarbee the less I think I need anything else. 

I'm probably gonna do the Scarbee as well for $50. In the YouTuber demos it had a fuller sound than others it was being compared to. Plus there's any number of amp sims and effects I'll run it through.

FWIW I emailed Greg at OTS today to ask about the Bb3 - B3 issue on the Famous E and I'll report back what he says. I'll probably not be getting the Famous E myself though, mainly cuz I don't think it's the sound I'm after. Oh but the history! 🤣  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

can you make Canterbury sparkle and chime too or is it mostly just a dark-ish gritty sound? Cuz I've changed my mind a bit about what I said in another thread the other day about how most EPs seemed to be the same to me more or less, quality-wise (not sound per se). Now that I've revisited the EPs I've got in Komplete, I'd like to pick up something else, and I like dark and gritty but I want brilliance and sparkle too when I want it and I'd like to get all that from just one EP.

The short answer is yes, the Canterbury can definitely sparkle - Both the Canterbury and the Scarbee can be drastically changed by the presets and settings. Here is a quick comparison between the Canterbury Suitcase and the Scarbee 88 with brighter settings playing a bit of Toontrack midi. One nice thing about Canterbury is that the presets are divided up between "Clean", "Dirty" and "Experimental". Both are great Rhodes libraries. 

Canterbury vs Scarbee 88.wav

1 - Canterbury  - "A Good Start" preset

2  - Scarbee 88 - "A Warm & Crispy Pan" preset (I turned down the vibrato some for an even comparison)

Edited by Scott H
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 9:59 PM, Christian Jones said:

FWIW I emailed Greg at OTS today to ask about the Bb3 - B3 issue on the Famous E and I'll report back what he says.

For anyone that was curious about the Bb3 to B3 thing I was talking about earlier in this thread regarding the OTS Famous E, here's what OTS had to say about it. He's right about that Al Jarreau song as heard below.

As for the hiss issue, he says that's been fixed, and of course that has also already been reported by both Virtuoso (the guy who initially reported it) and Greg from OTS, as I mentioned previously. 

"The Bb3/B3 transitions to different hammers, which is why you hear that change when it gets to the "bell range". You can hear this in the first few notes of the intro in the Al Jarreau song, "Not Like This", for example, when the Rhodes hits the C above middle C. That being said, if you prefer a smoother range instead, you can turn off the bell range in the advanced section of the interface. I know that was Jay Graydon's preference, which is why all his presets have the bell range disabled."

Here's the link where this was initially reported, with audio example https://vi-control.net/community/threads/orange-tree-model-e-rhodes.94529/post-4596993

The Al Jarreau song 

Edited by Christian Jones
I realize this isn't a thread about the OTS Famous E, but I put this info here anyway since this is where I began talking about these things regarding the OTS Famous E, so.
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, AW said:

Hi Scott, is this an affiliate link?

Hi AW - It was most definitely not an affiliate link.  I was just sharing a nice deal with my fellow forum members. I'm surprised that you would bother to ask the question regarding a three year old broken link.  It looks like you are new to the forum. Next time you might stop and consider before reporting an ancient post to the moderators. Best regards.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scott H said:

Hi AW - It was most definitely not an affiliate link.  I was just sharing a nice deal with my fellow forum members. I'm surprised that you would bother to ask the question regarding a three year old broken link.  It looks like you are new to the forum. Next time you might stop and consider before reporting an ancient post to the moderators. Best regards.

Thanks for getting back, sorry no offense meant Scott. Noted that it was an old post, it was a genuine query and all I 'reported' to the mods was essentially only the same as what I asked you, there was no accusation just a query 'Was this an affiliate link' or not. 

I've seen others inadvertently caught out by those undisclosed links in the past, and I stand by the premise of double-checking—notwithstanding this being quite a dated post.

Edited by AW