Kirk Hunter Releases Kinetic Strings

Simeon Amburgey

Brilliant video as always Simeon.   I love the part where you say something like "we just did that in a few minutes!"   No, we did not, Simeon.  YOU did.   😃   But fun to think about how I could have done it too, if I could just go back to my birth and be more serious about my  playing .   

It seems to m+ that Hunter looked at libraries like the Sonokinetic Ostinatos, Pattern Strings, and STRIIIINGS, and said "I can do better than that!"   And I don't think this is going to be topped by anybody. 

PLUS, this is on an intro price of $99.99 out of $149.99.  And if you are on the KH mailing list you'll get an email today for another $10 off. 

Simeon demonstrated one of my very favorite libraries, Virtuoso Ensembles, which I think is the number one sketching library.   Last BF it sold for $29.99.

Simeon, this seems aimed at epic music, and I don't really do that.  Do you think this could be useful for other kinds of music?

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

This looks nice. How are the notes split between the different parts? Would it be that e.g. if I play a note that violins, violas, and cellos can play, then all three of the string sections play that note? Or is there some kind of algorithm that says something like highest note goes to violins, second highest note goes to violas, etc.?

7 minutes ago, antler said:

This looks nice. How are the notes split between the different parts? Would it be that e.g. if I play a note that violins, violas, and cellos can play, then all three of the string sections play that note? Or is there some kind of algorithm that says something like highest note goes to violins, second highest note goes to violas, etc.?

You have control over the key ranges.
I think they split where they would naturally in their playable ranges.

You also have individual Kontakt instruments that you can load containing each section (Violins, Violas, Cellos, Basses). This way you could have four instances of Kontakt with each one handling a separate section or you can always use the Ensemble instrument.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Yes,
I show a little run through in the video.
The library records the MIDI and you can drag and drop from there.

Great info! I have the library now!

Looking forward to lots of fun! But just one general question about using Kontakt libraries, since you seem to be a power collector of Kontakt libraries... :)

I recently acquired the full version of Kontakt as a very good crossgrade deal, and I'm stoked that "requires full Kontakt" never needs to be a concern again!

However, I've noticed that these 3rd party Kontakt libraries do not show up in the left hand "Libraries" panel like the Native Instruments libraries do. Is there any way to set that up yourself, or are you limited to always using the "Files" view or "Quick-Load" to locate your '.nki' file?

28 minutes ago, abacab said:

Great info! I have the library now!

Looking forward to lots of fun! But just one general question about using Kontakt libraries, since you seem to be a power collector of Kontakt libraries... :)

I recently acquired the full version of Kontakt as a very good crossgrade deal, and I'm stoked that "requires full Kontakt" never needs to be a concern again!

However, I've noticed that these 3rd party Kontakt libraries do not show up in the left hand "Libraries" panel like the Native Instruments libraries do. Is there any way to set that up yourself, or are you limited to always using the "Files" view or "Quick-Load" to locate your '.nki' file?

There's the rub and the very reason that 3rd party libraries require the FULL version of Kontakt. 
Since they are not encoded for the Kontakt Player they cannot be displayed in the Main Library browser, but as you mentioned you can use Quick Load which I am learning to use more and more.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

There's the rub and the very reason that 3rd party libraries require the FULL version of Kontakt. 
Since they are not encoded for the Kontakt Player they cannot be displayed in the Main Library browser, but as you mentioned you can use Quick Load which I am learning to use more and more.

So you are saying that even if I was to create a library of my own, I would have to pay NI for a license to encode for Kontakt Player in order to include it in the Library view?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

So you are saying that even if I was to create a library of my own, I would have to pay NI for a license to encode for Kontakt Player in order to include it in the Library view?

Correct

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes, it is a very big commitment by developers when they take that extra step to not only make it Kontakt Player ready but that process also includes making the library NKS compatible as well. They have to pay an upfront fee as well as a per license fee depending on the terms that are agreed upon based on sales projections.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Yes, it is a very big commitment by developers when they take that extra step to not only make it Kontakt Player ready but that process also includes making the library NKS compatible as well. They have to pay an upfront fee as well as a per license fee depending on the terms that are agreed upon based on sales projections.

It would seem that NI should consider loosening up some controls with the licensed full Kontakt, so that users can customize their own local installation for this. But it is, what it is!

Anyhow, thanks for the helpful info! :)

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, abacab said:

I have hundreds of Kontakt libraries now (thanks Pianobook). There is no way I would want them all to appear in the Library view. I much prefer to use the file view or the quick load tree structure. The great thing about quick load is that you can organize your libraries by type, for example have all your pianos together, or your guitars, or your kazoos if you swing that way.  A library can appear in more than one location in quick view as well. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1