Cave Paintings

timboalogo

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your ears on this mix. 

It's a song that started with the idea of "what if a caveman had a cell phone". It grew to become a bleak comparison of Neandertal life with that of today where I attempt to show that we have lost the magic that our ancestors felt and even with all the social media connections we are alone compared to their way of life.

I used Melodyne 5 Editor (it was on sale last month for $99 US) on the vox and guitars. It was worth the upgrade and works well in Cakewalk, not perfectly, but well.

https://soundcloud.com/yellowdwarfband/cave-paintings

Please comment if you can. Thanks,

Timbo

Cool !  Very "Floydish".     Mix wise , I think It's a very wet song for such Dry vocals. I think there's a lot of room for some more  Highs / reverb & delay in the main Vox to make it more dramatic and sit better with the rest of the mix. The outro lead guitar could also use a little EQ work .  Just sounded a little loud , but subdued at the same time. All in all Very nice . I  Really enjoyed the listen ..   mark

Thanks Mark, you put into words what I was thinking about the vocals.

I have never been happy with the song itself and my playing can't stand up to most, so I've tried to concentrate on the production, These 2 tips are very helpful!

Thanks, Tim

As Mark notes the backing track is extremely wet, in my own fury opinion it is on the point of drowning.

A little revisit of the mix I suspect would be good, bring back that Reverb and slap back delay and I suspect there is a good song trying hard to emerge.

First off I like the song and the lead guitars, in fact all the guitars have cool tone going on.

I think the mix issue is the vocals, and in a psychedelic song like this you can really get away with whatever you want. I'm no expert but maybe look at the volume of your snare, and your vocal, and compare. You want both of those to be prominent, and that's hard because they occupy broadly similar eq ranges. In your mix the vocal is much louder than the snare, but you might help drive the song a little more with a closer balance between the two.

interesting tune and good luck with it!

cheers,

-Tom