Reason + 3 months for $3

Brian Lawler

So...
It comes to reason, that the Reason+ 3 month subscription isn't really that reasonable because for some reason Reason is a drive piggy that consumes more drive space than a reasonable person should reasonably expect.  Or is my reasoning wrong?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

So...
It comes to reason, that the Reason+ 3 month subscription isn't really that reasonable because for some reason Reason is a drive piggy that consumes more drive space than a reasonable person should reasonably expect.  Or is my reasoning wrong?

Sounds like sound reasoning to me. 

i don't think you're being reasonable.

4 GB free system disk space required, plus 8 GB for optional content.   In addition, program may use up to 20 GB scratch disk space. 

With so many libraries out there of more than 100 GB, this doesn't seem unreasonable, even with the scratch disk.

Isn't "scratch disk" for virtual memory?  So if you have a lot of RAM, your computer might not even use the scratch disk, or at least all of it. 

$3 is all the reason I need to go for this deal.  Hope it works. 

• Like 2

I didn't think they would give it to me, seeing as how I'm a Reason owner and have taken them up on some trials before.  But it seems to have worked.  And this is plenty of time for me to check this out. 

The patches load really slowly.  I can't figure out how to direct Reason to find them in a faster disk.  Anybody know? 

37 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I didn't think they would give it to me, seeing as how I'm a Reason owner and have taken them up on some trials before.  But it seems to have worked.  And this is plenty of time for me to check this out. 

The patches load really slowly.  I can't figure out how to direct Reason to find them in a faster disk.  Anybody know? 

I am guessing that you took the "early release" of version 12?  I am still on 11 using the Rack- maybe still optimizations needed?  11 seems to work fine and fast for me.

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

So...

The sample based REs, samples can't be put on a separate drive unless you do some work arounds.  If a DAW like Studio One  or Live Suite force you to keep content on the OS drive it would be 19GB and 60+GB.   I do believe Reason Suite takes up 18GB on my OS drive.  All DAWs allow for separate folders for content.  Reason is in the dark ages on many things DAW.   

I avoid the sample based REs.

• Sad 1

I did a quick check and found about 21 Gig in use on my boot drive (by Reason 11 Suite).  Could it be the high res graphics rendering?  According to this thread https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7523824  When you load at a new zoom level for the first time, all the plug ins have to render, and it can take a while.  They are supposed to cache for faster future loading.  I am not going to Plus, but might go for 12 if the "own it forever" upgrade price is fair.  I would like to know if your future loading(s) of a fixed project are faster.   I am only interested in using the Rack, and I usually load it empty and add what I want after.  I would be fine (I think) with picking and sticking with a fixed zoom, if that is what it takes to get (near) the performance of 11.

<edit> NM. Gah- $3?  Installing...

Edited by Brian Lawler

2 hours ago, Esteban Villanova said:

20gb? really?

Yep. No other DAW is like that.  I don't buy RE's anymore since VST support.   It's a lot of confusion picking and choosing in my Reason browser and the length of that list is like reading the complete volumes of Shakespeare.  I like the uniqueness of Reason.

Edited by Paul Young

I have to wonder the wisdom of companies buying other software developers and not very knowledgeable of the DAW market.  (we know this for sure) I guess this would be appealing to some pure fanboys and those looking in.

The Reason+  was what Cakewalk use to be by promising free content every month.  Meeting such deadlines can turn quantity over quality.   Once you get past the paid shills and fanboys over + you do see some caution from others.

Rent to rent to rent is not as good as rent to own.  There is always this speculation of x company going subscription.  I could see that as blessing when you avoid these and creativity begins when there are less options.   People worry that NI would go sub but after many years of buying Komplete most of it is never used anyway.

Unless you are making money off your DAW subs can be a financial pitfall.  We look at a single product monthly value say like a DAW, then add more for a plugin subscription, sound content, ect. and you start to realize the monthly total can equal a utility payment.  People say these are great ideas for people who can't pay upfront for software.   I'm not so sure.  Contentment is a hard thing to do.

There is the sub frenzy and before that was the dongle frenzy.  There are small developers who will market their products against such things.  There are developers who vowed to never go sub.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  I see DAWs like FL Studio, Reaper, and Bandlab, plugins like Melda  looking more valuable every day.