Tempo Change Problem

Chris Ward

Hi All,

I am mixing a tune for a friend and his band. It consists of 5x repeating parts and after recording all at 140bpm, he requested that the final part has a tempo increase. There are 8x different instrument tracks and all sync at the original tempo of 140bpm. I made several attempts to increase the final part to 160bpm and found that half the tracks complied with the tempo increase and the other half didn't, resulting in an out of sync mess. My work around was to SPLIT all 8x tracks at measure 132 (the start of the final part) and bounce them to new tracks whilst deleting the originals. I set up the Audiosnap window to follow tempo and set the faster 160bpm in the tempo track. It worked.

We then discussed a GRADUAL tempo increase instead, so I set the tempo track accordingly from 140bpm to the required 160bpm for the last section of the tune (part #5 at measure 132). However, on playback I heard the same issue as before - half the tracks increase in tempo IN SYNC whilst the other tracks go out of sync. Bear in mind that Part #5 of the tune is now on separate tracks from the first 4x parts.

Am I overlooking some other setting that should be attended to, or is there a bug in the software (sorry BandLab) ???

By all accounts, I shouldn't have had to split Part #5 from the rest of the tune in the first place and although it solved the problem for a sudden tempo change, it still proves a problem with a gradual tempo change.

Your wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris (t-break)

Screenshot 2021-07-12 170945.png

Are all the clips marked as groove clips or has the audio transient tool been used to tell the clips to follow tempo? Audio clips don't automatically follow tempo changes you have to tell them to be able to do that.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=4&help=Dialogs2.140.html

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tempo.02.html