No input signal from audio interface

Hi! Unfortunately my username is ironic at the moment.

I have:

• UMC-22 audio interface
  • Cakewalk version 2021.06
  • ASIO4ALL
  • Windows 10
  • Realtek sound card

Unfortunately I can't record audio tracks as Cakewalk isn't receiving any input signal.

My signal icon lights up on the audio interface when I play my guitar, so I'm all good up to that point. I can also hear playback of my previously recorded MIDI tracks fine through my headphones, which are plugged into the audio interface, so I know the audio interface and computer are connected (mostly) talking to each other.

However that's as far as I've got - the input signal bar doesn't light up when I arm the track and play the guitar.

I've attached some images - all advice and suggestions are gratefully appreciated! You would make my day!

Thanks

cakewalk-asio.png

cakewalk-preferences-devices.png

cakewalk-preferences-driver.png

cakewalk-preferences-playback.png

The output on the right (Master A) is playing the other tracks, the green signal bar is lit up, but when I play the instrument in Channel 9 (labelled 'Bass audio') I get nothing on the left hand input:
cakewalk-signal.png

Edited by mikemakesmusic

44 minutes ago, mikemakesmusic said:

Hi! Unfortunately my username is ironic at the moment.

I have:

• UMC-22 audio interface
  • Cakewalk version 2021.06
  • ASIO4ALL
  • Windows 10
  • Realtek sound card

Unfortunately I can't record audio tracks as Cakewalk isn't receiving any input signal.

My signal icon lights up on the audio interface when I play my guitar, so I'm all good up to that point. I can also hear playback of my previously recorded MIDI tracks fine through my headphones, which are plugged into the audio interface, so I know the audio interface and computer are connected (mostly) talking to each other.

However that's as far as I've got - the input signal bar doesn't light up when I arm the track and play the guitar.

I've attached some images - all advice and suggestions are gratefully appreciated! You would make my day!

Thanks

cakewalk-asio.png

cakewalk-preferences-devices.png

cakewalk-preferences-driver.png

cakewalk-preferences-playback.png

The output on the right (Master A) is playing the other tracks, the green signal bar is lit up, but when I play the instrument in Channel 9 (labelled 'Bass audio') I get nothing on the left hand input:
cakewalk-signal.png

Everything looks fine. You might want to select the Mono Outputs (tick boxes) in the send image too | and | bring the channel you want to record on to focus - by just clicking on it to highlight it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Too bad you already spent your money, but you should have gotten an interface that has a real ASIO driver and not that ASIO4all garbage. I think it's unconscionable that a manufacturer of allegedly semi-pro gear would have you use that instead of giving you a dedicated driver.

If the thing can use WASAPI, you may be better off going that route. ASIO4all is just a wrapper anyway and not a real driver

• Like 1

This might be the 3rd person with this interface having issues. The advice has always been “Make sure you purchase an audio interface that comes with proper ASIO drivers that are up to date for your operating system “. 
You actually have just bought an overpriced adapter box. A small mixer would have done the same. 
I would send it back or give it to a friend with a Mac. 

Thank you very much for your thoughts and feedback so far!

Unfortunately the suggestions of "bin it and get something else, what were you even thinking" aren't actionable; it was a birthday present from my wife and I am extremely grateful for it.

@Will_Kaydo I'll certainly try that when I get home from work, thanks very much!

I was also thinking it might be something to do with sound card compatibility or perhaps another piece of software requesting access to the mic and thus blocking Cakewalk. No other programs are open but this might be happening behind the scenes?

Alongside this, are there any simple checks, menus or interfaces to look at that you might be able to recommend, to ensure that all relevant drivers, APIs, software etc are talking to each other and open to receiving information from each other?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mikemakesmusic

The preferences for ASIO4All look fine and although ASIO4All should work, if you are running Win10 try the WASAPI driver modes instead of ASIO.

Also may want to start simple, with a single audio track project.

Have you tried both channels on the interface?

Can you hear the guitar when the interface is setup for direct monitoring?

12 minutes ago, mikemakesmusic said:

or perhaps another piece of software requesting access to the mic and thus blocking Cakewalk. No other programs are open but this might be happening behind the scenes?

Yes. Seeing that you're using Behringer - it doesn't come with dedicated drivers. So what you also need to check is your "Mic Settings in Windows Sound Control Panel. 

Right click on the Speaker icon on your Taskbar, Select Sound Settings and "Sound Control Panel" on the next window. There you will find a "Recording Tab" to your Mic Settings. Make sure your Mic is enabled and selected as "Default" and in Asio4All. 

Thank you both very much @Will_Kaydo and @scook, it's much appreciated.

@scook - I have just tried a simple single track project in ASIO and WASAPI but unfortunately no joy. I haven't tried with both channels as I don't have a mic to plug in but I do hear the guitar back with direct monitoring on so I think the audio interface hardware is behaving as it should. I suspect the issue is my computer's ability to pick up the signal that the audio interface is sending it?

@Will_Kaydo - I think you may have found an issue! Within the Mic settings I couldn't find any mention of ASIO4ALL nor anywhere to select it. Following your advice:

The mic is enabled...

... and selected as default...

... but the drivers make no mention of ASIO4ALL, instead they're all manufactured by Microsoft:

If this is the issue, how would I load the ASIO4ALL driver here?

cakewalk-mic-1.png
cakewalk-mic-2.png
cakewalk-mic-3.png
cakewalk-mic-4.png

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, mikemakesmusic said:

cakewalk-mic-1.png

I think theres a misunderstanding here. The instructions i gave was Mic specific. 

Turn your Realtek Audio Device on in Asio4All for guitars. That should work. 

Also make sure you plugged in on the right input of the Interface.

Input 1 on the interface is for Mic and Input 2 for guitars.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Chaps! I think I have success! I could cry.

Firstly: Thank you both @scook and @Will_Kaydo. The fact you both give up your time to help strangers get into home recording and using the software is a very altruistic and noble thing to do. On behalf of 'the internet', we think you're awesome.

giphy.gif

Here's the solution (again, I think) should anyone else read this:

After revisiting the ASIO Panel however many times, it decided this time to give me an error message. This wasn't displayed before, I call this progress on behalf of ASIO4ALL:

asio4allsnip2.png

Damn you MS GS WAVETABLE SYNTH (whatever that means).

This website gave me instructions to disable MS GS WAVETABLE SYNTH (me neither), which I followed: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/completely-disabling-ms-gs-wavetable-synth/5b2297a5-0904-4340-bdbb-ce528b3068c5.

I now hear my guitar when I arm the record function.

The reason I say "I think"... is because I swore I used to have a L and R option? Or have I spent so long switching between drivers that I'm mistaking ASIOfor WASABI? I am only able to record in USB Audio CODEC 2 (look at that beautiful recording waveform in the screengrab too) :waveform.png

I guess CODEC 1 and CODEC 2 are because it's referencing the two different ports on my audio interface. Line 1 is for the vocal mic, line 2 is the guitar jack. I'm plugged in to the guitar jack, there's nothing plugged in to line 1 so I assume that's why CODEC 1 gives me nothing. If, indeed, CODEC 1 corresponds to input 1 on the audio interface.

So here's the question that will expose my extreme newbieness (if it wasn't already evident): Audio tracks can only record in mono. But I don't have the ability to pick the L or R channel here. Do I have the ability to switch this audio track to the L or R channel later in the process? I'm think the answer is yes.

Thank you once again.

Edited by mikemakesmusic

15 minutes ago, mikemakesmusic said:

So here's the question that will expose my extreme newbieness (if it wasn't already evident): Audio tracks can only record in mono. But I don't have the ability to pick the L or R channel here. Do I have the ability to switch this audio track to the L or R channel later in the process? I'm think the answer is yes.

Thank you once again.

Your CODEC 1 is your L input and the CODEC 2 your R. They correspond with the Input 1 (Mic input - L)  and Input 2 (Guitar Input - R)  on your interface. 

You can rename it. 

Yes. You can Pan them L-R too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo