Last Night's Gig

bitflipper

One more thing to consider. If you are going the modeling route anyway, try somethin like the Helix or Headrush pedalboards. Save your backs and do away with the amp altogether. Even the SansAmp pedal sounds really good. 

If I am working FOH, I love guitar players who use those types of rigs. But (going to demonstrate my hypocrisy here), if I'm the talent I want one or more of my tube amps.

If you are leaning toward a modeling type amplifier, that Fender Champion is hard to beat. They sound really good. They are versatile, portable and the price is right. And... as mentioned above most listeners can't tell the difference. Only other guitar players will care and half of them will be leaning against the wall with their arms crossed anyway.

• Like 2

Surfing around the webosphere I see a lot of love for the Champion. Comparing feature-by-feature it appears to offer far more bang for the buck over the Marshall while being 10lb lighter. I'm going to suggest this one, and suggest that we order it today so it'll be here before next week's gig. Thanks for everyone's input!

• Like 1

Well, I went ahead and ordered something different from everything discussed here so far, on the advice of my guy at Sweetwater, who said it blows away the Champion. Fingers crossed he's right. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

It's a Fender Blues Deluxe. 40W, 1x12  and real glass vacuum tubes to keep my comrade happy. It'll arrive next Friday. Got a gig that same night, but don't know if he'll want to chance using it immediately.

BluesDeluxe.jpg.auto.webp

• Great Idea 1

If your guitar player has a favorite drive pedal I suspect he’ll prefer the “vintage” channel. The “hot rod” deluxes have never given me “chills” with the drive or more drive channels. I’d jump right in when it arrives, he’ll be fine. 
t

15 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Well, I went ahead and ordered something different from everything discussed here so far, on the advice of my guy at Sweetwater, who said it blows away the Champion. Fingers crossed he's right. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

It's a Fender Blues Deluxe. 40W, 1x12  and real glass vacuum tubes to keep my comrade happy. It'll arrive next Friday. Got a gig that same night, but don't know if he'll want to chance using it immediately.

BluesDeluxe.jpg.auto.webp

That look pretty cool. 

8 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

If your guitar player has a favorite drive pedal I suspect he’ll prefer the “vintage” channel. The “hot rod” deluxes have never given me “chills” with the drive or more drive channels. I’d jump right in when it arrives, he’ll be fine. 
t

Thanks. I'll be sure to pass along that advice at tomorrow's rehearsal.

Sympathies for having to be in Oklahoma. At least it's not on fire.

• Like 1

I play on a couple of champs every week at a friend's.

I play on my fender 4x10 at other times. It's is loud but sounds stunning. Deville.

I use a rock crusher to cut the volume. Some tube amps have this built in now.

The champs don't break up a ton. A distortion pedal might be useful with the champ.

The are rivera amps that will diffuse some power prior to the speakers. Kinda a built in rock crusher.

I think the internet has hurt chances of getting a super cheap local deal, but watch Craig's list. Stuff does pop up.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/d/puyallup-crate-palamino-v8/7352179097.html

Edited by Gswitz

On 7/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, bitflipper said:

The price difference is large and the solid-state equivalents are usually far more powerful than their tube equivalents. For example, the Fender Twin Reverb solid state version is 200W and $1000, while the tube version is 85W and $1700.

Another consideration is weight and how much you need to baby the amp. Tube amps are significantly heavier and susceptible to sudden shock. If sitting in a studio this is not a big deal, but carting it around is another matter.

MOSFET technology has been in use for well over 30+ years now, but as Craig mentioned, the final 1% can be a big deal (more for studio than live in my opinion)... and the circuit designer also plays a massive role in the quality of the end product. That said, the plethora of both pre/post FX is another consideration... I have seen folks running chains through a laptop, and the amp was simply another PA system for them. Bottom line, as also mentioned above, people attending a gig are not going to be as uptight regarding hardware as they are for appreciating LIVE music that is performed well.

I hear ya on the matter of fragility. I'm old. I remember when everything was vacuum tubes. You'd carry spare tubes.

And you are preaching to the choir regarding what's really important: a genuine, heartfelt performance. Hopefully, one that that also doesn't suck.

• Like 1

It's all about getting out there to play music and bringing it  I'm glad to hear your out there again Dave . I'm itching to find a way back to performing again .

I like that amp you got him . That is a Pro  level amplifier ...I see that same amp in tons of concert footage ...

have a good one ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz

Little-known fact: the "Ex" in "FedEx" once stood for "express". No kidding, they once touted their advantage as being faster than other carriers.

The amp did not arrive on Friday as promised. Consequently, I was unable to take a nap because I was waiting for the delivery all day. Consequently, I was dead on my feet by the end of Friday night's gig. I got out of there at 2:00 AM and crashed at a friend's house nearby rather than make the long drive home.

Despite being completely wiped out, I left early Saturday so I wouldn't miss the delivery. It didn't come. Now, the tracking page has removed any mention of estimated delivery date. The amp has, however, made it from Troutville, Oregon to Portland Oregon over the past three days. I'm guessing they had to stop and get carrots for the donkey.

@bitflipper Same story here on the Epi Bass I ordered from MF. Started of by saying "Estimated Delivery July 19th". On July 19th it went to "Tracking will be provided once the parcel has arrived at the UPS facility". It remains in that status as of this morning.

MF say they opened an investigation request and that it can take up to 10 days to get a resolution. Sheesh.

Sadly it's a model that is on backorder for all four colors with every on line retailer.

As Gregy57 said, "How will I ever lay down that bass track?"

Hmm, so it's not just FedEx. Wildfires, perhaps? Or maybe the $4/gallon gas is making them drive slower.

What if they're making all the drivers take COVID tests before crossing into Washington, and they're all demonstrating outside in the parking lot because you have to wear a facemask to get in to the testing site and that's a violation of their HIPPA rights? Or worse, they all did get vaccinated and now they're magnetic and can't cross that big steel bridge over the Columbia River?