Behringer audio interface UMC 240

Paul Bush

Hi chaps , I bought this audio interface over two years ago after almost after two- three months it was imposible switch between cakewalk and youtube channel without having to re-boot there were constant ``audio fall outs ´´ and it  would function properly once again for months and then the same problems would re-surface, I was never really sure if it was the interface or my computer   so I continude to use in the hope it would either explode ar stop altogether so that i cpuld send it back and get a replacement unit (three year waranty) .......so has anyone used one of these ? are they happy , or had simular problems , I´m now thinkng of buying a new interface any recomendations would help ....  I`m not recording huge productions 12 - 14 tracks I mix to busses and i keep the effects to the minimum and sometimes even freeze tracks  any comments help would be appriciated chers Paul B....

Behringer uses generic drivers and or Asio for all which is a ms driver wrapper.  Lots of problems here.

the easiest thing is to ditch the B and get a TAscam or other cheap interface with real asio drivers.  The quality at the low end mechanically is pretty good as are the drivers.   But you will have to spend over a hundred dollars.

@

Thanks chaps , i sent it back to thomann and they said there´s no faulty components , i sort of guessed that anyway , its possible I´ll have to pay the postage and thats fine,  I dont mind spending a couple of hundred euros to get the right unit  to fit my means the largest project untill now only has only had 16-18 tracks   using sub busses for effects etc so no movie produtions  can aynone recomend a good 150-200 euro interface ? cheers P....                I was looking at the 404 as an upgrade

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 10:33 AM, Paul Bush said:

Thanks chaps , i sent it back to thomann and they said there´s no faulty components , i sort of guessed that anyway , its possible I´ll have to pay the postage and thats fine,  I dont mind spending a couple of hundred euros to get the right unit  to fit my means the largest project untill now only has only had 16-18 tracks   using sub busses for effects etc so no movie produtions  can aynone recomend a good 150-200 euro interface ? cheers P....                I was looking at the 404 as an upgrade

Ive got the Behringer UMC1820 Paul, comes with dedicated drivers and been stable for me on win10.  However i did want one with midi port and spidif to use some of my old equipment has i don't use a usb controller but my old midi keyboard and piano. The 404 didn't have those options, plus the extra heaphone monitor is real  quick and handy. Cost me £170 but see some cheaper, is rack mount . I could find nothing else at a reasonable price with these midi and Spidf inputs inputs 

Thanks whoisp ,yeah that was the thing that attracted me to this unit was the midi conection , its a great unit and does what it says on the box , I may have installed it incorectly athough it worked perfectly for a while and then if I wanted to look on one screen for  a tutorial and the other cakewalk   the sound fell out and then more often even when cakewalk wasnt turned on , if i mixed a wave or mp3 from cakewalk to the libary  i couldnt  open the file unless i rebooted the whole system .. theres something wrong some where , I´ll carry on with it untill it explodes and then buy another one ..cheers

• Like 1

About a year ago I needed more channels for a  recording project (I had an MOTU 4pre with 4 analog preamps and needed 8).  I was able to borrow a Behringer 1820 from a friend for the project.  The Behringer performed admirably.  Preamps sounded identical to the MOTU's and had the same low latency.   

Edited by Jack Stoner
Typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Thanks whoisp ,yeah that was the thing that attracted me to this unit was the midi conection , its a great unit and does what it says on the box , I may have installed it incorectly athough it worked perfectly for a while and then if I wanted to look on one screen for  a tutorial and the other cakewalk   the sound fell out and then more often even when cakewalk wasnt turned on , if i mixed a wave or mp3 from cakewalk to the libary  i couldnt  open the file unless i rebooted the whole system .. theres something wrong some where , I´ll carry on with it untill it explodes and then buy another one ..cheers

ive had the very odd drop out, i just turn the unit off for few seconds and back on and s sorts it out so the usb drivers refresh without rebooting the pc.  Drops out usually a software issue which can conflict with driver on pc, things like youtube can even cause it running in background using the sound drivers haha and not the unit itself which is rare, so basically background programs, anti virus, wifi and things like apps that also use audio like spotify etc

• Like 1