dry/wet tracking

Kawika

Hi all,

I now hear a dry signal and wet signal when tracking guitar with a 3rd party gtr plug in (never happened before w/same plug-in).

I first noticed this after installing thunderbolt. I also noticed that in preferences/ mixing latency, the buffer slider is grayed out yielding to making such changes in ASIO.

Some of these observations may be irreverent. The guitar is recording only the wet sound but I'm not digging hearing  the wet/dry mixture while tracking.

Ideas?

thanks,

Kawika

4 hours ago, Steve_B said:

Audio Interface Direct Monitor button switched on? 

This. Your system will always have a certain amount of latency. You only hear that if you listen to both the direct input mixed with the output from your computer system. 

Easy to test. Dial in your direct monitoring so you hear your vocal or guitar from the input blended equally with the DAW playback in your headphones    

Now arm an audio track for recording and toggle the input echo button. 

You will hear the delay. The amount of delay depends on the quality of the drivers and your system and how low you can set your buffer before you get dropouts or crackles in your audio. 

it also a good idea to optimize your playback by bypassing certain effects. I always toggle the bypass effects when tracking both audio and midi. 

Buffer settings are set in the ASIO control panel of the interface. Not in Cakewalk. Those will be greyed out in ASIO mode. 

Edited by John Vere

41 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Buffer settings are set in the ASIO control panel of the interface. Not in Cakewalk. Those will be greyed out in ASIO mode. 

Starting with CbB 2019.11, some ASIO drivers may be adjusted using  the latency slider in preferences. 

It appears the device the OP is using is not one of them.

thanks guys,

I am using Antelope Goliath. This is not a latency issue. There is virtually no latency with Thunderbolt; RT is at 4.1 ms. The issue is I am hearing the effected sound (in this case a distorted gtr plug at the same time as the unaffected sound, like I am monitoring twice, somehow.

Of course, the wet/dry mix is not a latency issue.

Neither is

15 hours ago, Kawika said:

I first noticed this after installing thunderbolt. I also noticed that in preferences/ mixing latency, the buffer slider is grayed out yielding to making such changes in ASIO.

If you are hearing a mix of the direct and effected signal, something in your signal chain mixing the two.

It could be in the interface hardware (if is has an adjustment for direct and return signal), a software mixer supplied by the hardware manufacturer, a mix knob on the plug-in or multiple tracks set to the same input.

Well the web site is not very helpful about info but I will surmise by the complexity of this interface that it will for sure come with a software mixer. This is we’re you need to sort this out. With 32 channels and built in processing it will have a steep learning curve. 
This is not a Cakewalk issue. This is a matter of studying the user manual or watching the manufacturer supplied videos 

Happy to do so.

And, it might have been a "productive mistake" as I was sending to 2 mixers in the interface which seems to me would allow me to simultaneously record a dry and wet (interface fx) in the future.