Quarter-tone piano

jkoseattle

Question

I am writing pieces for two pianos, and am using two specific EW Play sounds. I would like to be able to de-tune one or both of them, and I can't figure it out, either on the Play side or the Cakewalk side. How is this done?

Using TruePianos by Cakewalk, deep in the advanced properties one can find a way to do this, but I don't want to use that sound, and much prefer the EastWest pianoes I've chosen.

5 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Have you tried a Honky Tonk piano patch?

That's not the effect I'm going for. This is a quarter tone piece. It's part of a whole album for two pianos, so the patches are fixed because a bunch of other pieces use them too, but this particular track is the only quarter tone one.

Because the VST does not allow for tuning, I'm bouncing the track to audio, de-tuning in Adobe Audition and re-importing. Ugh.

Edited by jkoseattle

I have zero experience with EW Play sounds, but if they don't have a way to detune the pianos, but they do respond to MIDI PB, perhaps you can insert a small PB at the start of the 1/4-tuned track (assuming you don't use PB within the music itself)

Never mind, I just found a manual for EW Pianos on line. Not only do they not use scale files, they do not have "control codes" for PB.

Its a long shot, but a 2008 article at Sweetwater mentions an Advanced Properties window. Also, an online Play 6 Manual references a Tune Knob.  Not sure if you can do that with your version of Play and those specific pianos, but maybe.

BTW, the manual I found does reference PB in a section on "Different MIDI Modes." 

Good luck with that.

Edited by User 905133