MIDI Keyboard is silent in standby mode

DallasSteve

Question

I have a MIDI keyboard hooked up to my computer and Cakewalk recognizes it.  I have a MIDI track set with it as the Input and Cakewalk TTS as the Output.  I can record notes with the controller as shown in the screenshot below.  When I press Play I can hear the recorded notes.  The problem is I can't hear notes while I'm recording or while the system is in standby mode (not recording, not playing back).  If I press the keys I can see the green volume meter go up and down  but no sound.  But, as I said, the sound plays during playback.  What am I missing here?  I want to be able to doodle and hear the sounds while not recording and while recording which is currently silent, too.  Edit: And if I open Cakewalk TTS and press the test buttons for the different voices I hear those sounds.

Cakewalk2.jpg

Edited by DallasSteve

10 answers to this question

David

I found a YouTube tutorial on using a Midi keyboard with Cakewalk.  I followed its steps which included adding a new instrument track of Cakewalk TTS.  So I now had 2 instances of it in my project.  When I set my keyboard track output to the second instance, it worked.  I can hear the keys when I press them now.  So I guess the original instance of Cakewalk TTS had some configuration that wasn't compatible with the Midi track number 8 in my example.  So my problem is solved.  If the sound isn't working from the existing soft synth, I'll try adding a new one.  Maybe someday I'll understand what wasn't configured correctly.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by DallasSteve

Hmmm... your screenshot shows Auto-echo enabled on the MIDI track labeled Vocal, and the output is TTS-1, but there's no forced output Channel set.  It's not necessary to set this if you're changing output channels channels on your keyboard to play and record the parts for different instruments, but it's easier to just leave the keyboard set to a fixed output channel (usually 1), and use the track's output channel to determine which channel of TTS-1 responds to each track.

If recorded MIDI is playing back on the track that has input echo enabled, real-time echoed MIDI should also be heard, so I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I recommend you set appropriate output channels on all tracks pointing to TTS-1. I would also recommend you set the Input on MIDI tracks to the specific port and channel of your keyboard rather than Omni - All. I wouldn't expect this to solve the immediate problem, but it's a best practice, and will prevent confusion later if and when you have other sources of MIDI coming in (from external hardware or MIDI-generating plugins).

David

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm new to this software and I don't know how to manage the channels.  I just used Midi Omni and that works for record/playback but not just hitting the keys.  I hear no sound.  I tried setting something to Channel 1 but that didn't work either.  I'd like to find a good tutorial because the Cakewalk documentation is pretty sketchy, too.

In your image where it reads "Custom" above the Track Pane, change that to "All" and then maximize your track(s) so you can see all of the track properties (ins/outs) and set your channels there.
Also, make sure Input Monitoring is on for each track you're playing to.

I'm back to this problem again.  When I press play I can hear the song play, but when I'm in standby mode and I press keys on my MIDI controller I hear no sound.  I see the volume meters light up, but no sound.  I tried doing my earlier solution of adding a new TTS-1 instrument track, but that's not working now.  I don't understand how to knit together all of the settings of the MIDI channels and the tracks and the synths.  Is there a Cakewalk For Dummies tutorial that might explain that?  This is very discouraging.

Edited by DallasSteve

Problem solved again?  I guess?

I closed Cakewalk and re-opened.  Then I added a different synth, the SI-Electric Piano.  When I set Track 7 to that synth and play keys, I hear the sound.  So I added another TTS-1 when I set the track to that snyth and press keys, I hear the sound.  But if I set the track back to the original TTS-1, I hear no sound.  I don't know why, but for now, I'm back in business.

I'd like to appeal for help on this one more time.  I'm trying to demo different sounds on Cakewalk TTS-1 using my MIDI keyboard but it won't play the keys in standby mode.  TTS-1 will play the sounds when I play back a song.  So I added the SI-Elec Piano and it works fine.  I can press keys on my controller.  But I removed and added a new TTS-1 to the synth rack and when I select a track that uses TTS-1 for output it does not respond to my MIDI controller keys.  Any idea?  Screenshot below.

Cakewalk2.jpg

Well, it's working again.  I deleted the TTS-1 and I then re-added it to the project and when I set the instruments to the new instance of TTS-1 it plays when I touch the keys on my controller.  I don't know why it's not working sometimes, but I guess the solution still is to remove it and re-add it.