Make VST3 Presets available from Preset menu

Starship Krupa

It seems like it's past time for Cakewalk to be able to manage (or at least list) factory-supplied VST3 presets from the Preset menu in the upper left hand corner of the plug-in properties window. As opposed to from deep within the VST3 menu.

I've been poking around a bit, because I noticed that some of the plug-in manufacturers were supplying presets but that very few were showing up. I went to Steinberg's page to get the word and found out that the spec for preset location is well-defined in the spec, and that several manufacturers of plug-ins have actually been following it.

Some VST3 plug-ins are able to load their factory supplied presets from that menu and some aren't. When I say "presets," I'm talking about .vstpreset files that are installed in the correct location(s) per the VST3 spec. All of them that I've found, however, are able to load them (when they exist) one at a time to the tune of 4 mouse clicks deep into the pull-down VST3 menu. I haven't figured out what the difference is between the ones that I can load via the Presets menu vs. the ones that are only available via the VST3 menu. I even have 

Whatever, it seems to me that if Cakewalk can take me straight to the correct folder via the VST3 menu, that it's not a big ask that it find those same presets and make them available in the Preset menu.

Also, not as big a deal, but it would also be nice if Cakewalk could respect the part of the spec that says to store user presets in Users/$USERNAME/Documents]/VST3 Presets/$COMPANY/$PLUGIN-NAME/. That could make things easier when using multiple hosts.

• Like 3

^^This^^ would be appreciated as a productivity enhancement. 

The existing [VST3  | Preset Options] mostly works for the VST3s I use, but is always an extra click and *does not display the name of the loaded preset". This can get pretty annoying working with multiple channels for a larger project using the PA TMT family of console strips. Other VST3s "forget" where their presets are and display the VST3 preset list for the most recent VST3 accessed. 

I've had some discussion with PA but so far they've declined to indicate much interest in changing/improving usability. The suggested solution is to load/resave presets in "the Cakewalk environment". Tried this for a couple of plugins than looked at bx_rooMS which lists 200. Ya right.  Other VST devs are doing a better job on this, probably more of an opportunity for CxB, but also never been an issue in S1. 

Yeah, it doesn't display the name of the preset, and you can't scroll through presets using the arrow buttons either.

I thought that Plugin Alliance products were a pain to deal with due to seldom having integral preset systems, then I discovered that no, my PA plug-ins do have presets, in locations that are fully-compliant with the spec. It's just that Cakewalk's preset manager doesn't recognize them.

I know that the Cakewalk bakers are proud of how VST3-compliant Cakewalk is, how about implementing this part of the spec?

• Like 1