1st EDM (It's OK To SCREAM)

whoisp

This music project turn out much better than expected and I probably will do more Dance type EDM and integrate more guitar. Only tiny bit on this track which is mostly FX and Bass guitar - Long  story type vocal intro,  built up in stages to enter the next phase at 1:20. The first Middle 8 harmonies was fun and bit bonkers with a second break in the dance chorus with the melody phased with modulation. Video was just banged together, i spend much more time on music. The music took me about 3 weeks which is longest its taken me to do a song haha I spent time making my own sample's which was time consuming. Video two days as i filmed myself doing the vocals to save time.... Hope you like it P 🙂 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tezza said:

It needs the dominant kick sub every quarter beat for that genre.

Iv'e called it "Dance type EDM" in the post. Sticking a sub kick on every quarter would not work on this mix like the New Year Mix 2021 - Best of EDM Party Electro House & Festival Music you posted doesn't have a sub every quarter beat, i will be sure to tell them haha 

18 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Agree.  Not EDM... 90's style Electonic Pop maybe .. ?

Iv'e called it "Dance type EDM" in the post it's electronic, its music and you can dance to it haha Like i said I probably will do more Dance type EDM and integrate more guitar as i am a guitarist experimenting with music in general.  

20 hours ago, jack c. said:

sounds right on.nice chords. harmony and voice  vst treatment.i think i'll buy it.jack c.

what vst plugins used on voice?

I used a free VST called MautoPitch which came in a Melda Production Audio Tech free plugin bundle, happy days. I used the MautoPitch plugin (pre) doing the live takes to bend voice and mess about with vocal melody, first time i tried this technique. I used a Sennheiser E865 mic  plugged into my old Boss 1180 digital recording studio (phantom) i use the boss because it as a good FX and sims amp processor for some sounds i prefer.   Only used bit of Boss compression and the standard cakewalk Breverb2  on a  bus in cakewalk. 

You can use the MautoPitch plugin also post fx on a pro channel bus to tidy up your vocal tuning so you don't really notice it, so you can be more subtle with it. I did this EDM type vocal sounds on purpose.  You can spend loads on something like Melodyne to get that dance vocal sound pretty much perfect or a perfect sounding clean pitch for rock vocal etc. Melodyne has loads of other uses but iv'e only used the Melodyne trial version which is totally different to MautoPitch which is not a post edit.  i will buy Melodyne one day, probably black Friday if they do a deal . It is pretty much the best plugin for vocal and instrument tuning /pitch or transposing key etc also its got some neat features , i.e you can export wave files to midi files which is real handy for melodies if you don't want to spend all day working things out on Guitar and keyboard as my playing is not a very high standard, im pretty average at best but know what sound i want.  There is another Plugin called QuadraVox which is ok for vocals and instruments, worth a look. Just check the reviews out on youtube Jack, normally where i start to see what they say about a plugin and use 

16 hours ago, whoisp said:

Iv'e called it "Dance type EDM" in the post. Sticking a sub kick on every quarter would not work on this mix like the New Year Mix 2021 - Best of EDM Party Electro House & Festival Music you posted doesn't have a sub every quarter beat, i will be sure to tell them haha 

Yes I think it would work, I can hear it coming in in your song in my imagination, that's why it stuck out to me with it's absence, I was waiting for it. It is present in the video I posted, not all the way through every song from start to finish but typically that kick is the resolution of the buildup and it is what people are expecting. It's not all the way through but always drops in as the foundation at some point in EDM. Sometimes it may be slightly varied in the beat but always present.

Your song sounds good, that was the main thing that stuck out to me which is why I posted, but if that is not what you want your music to sound like, that is up to you.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

Personal preference i guess with some things on what overall sound you wanted, i could have gone more instrumental but it was aa vocal project. In some parts of the track, well its off the beat on every quarter in chorus, i was just experimenting with electronic track with my style in a way. I purposely stayed away from every quarter. i started the track jamming on a loop every quarter but the repetition affected the progression twists with vocals.

I do agree, it's best to stay with the dance type classic music theory with EDM and Techno 'kick tops and riff' i was exploring the sound character and dynamics 

I would not call this Dance Type EDM. Why because it is not mindless enough. 

Might get played in a club whist they are setting up or breaking down but there is not as, Tezza said, , a 4 to the Floor mind numbing sub Bass kick to be the genre described.

In fact it might be considered to clever.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, Wookiee said:

I would not call this Dance Type EDM. Why because it is not mindless enough. 

Might get played in a club whist they are setting up or breaking down but there is not as, Tezza said, , a 4 to the Floor mind numbing sub Bass kick to be the genre described.

In fact it might be considered to clever.

haha nobody accused me of been to clever. Last time i mention a genre i will stick to "here's my latest vibe" 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

I thought your mix held up quite well and the second half of the song was more on the EDM side, kind of felt like a bit of a wait to get there tbh. But while you are waiting, here's the silhouettes. So all good.

nice one!

cheers,

-Tom

Loving your funky jazz vibe in your work BTW

• Like 1