Toontrack started to impose license transfer fees

Sander Verstraten

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I bought a bunch for $12-$14. Toontracks was always prompt with the license transfers. I don't begrudge Toontracks charging a license transfer fee; I just wish it was proportional to the cost of the original item, not a flat fee. 

Yeah, used to buy six-packs at Best Service. Loved the original ones with a name behind them. Since a few years they’ve been milking it, with trio title packs. I got my coat. 

29 minutes ago, antler said:

Also, there's a point of support and its cost. If you buy software, you'd usually expect the developer company to provide support no matter how old it is. If you phone up a company e.g. to tell them that a washing machine no longer works, but it's out of warranty, they'd most likely either decline to help or ask for a maintenance fee. A software parallel to this would be WUP, and I get the feeling that people here don't like it that much.

Sorry, I have been around long enough (like forever) to know this is not the case. I have no expectations to get support for Office 2003, or Adobe CS6, or Windows 7, or the software I got with a Microtek scanner I purchased in 2009, or Android on my Samsung Galaxy S2. 

I will give you that MIDI tracks have a much longer shelf life though. But also much less likely to need support.

I still have books I purchased in the 70s and the 80s. Some books have lasted even longer than that. 

I am starting wander, what was the point again? Not even sure what I am arguing.

56 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Sorry, I have been around long enough (like forever) to know this is not the case. I have no expectations to get support for Office 2003, or Adobe CS6, or Windows 7, or the software I got with a Microtek scanner I purchased in 2009, or Android on my Samsung Galaxy S2. 

A valid point. However, W7 was released in 2009; mainstream support ended 2015; and extended support ended in 2020*. Office 2003 was release in 2003; mainstream support ended 2009; and extended support ended in 2014^.

In my experience, physical product warranties typically last 1-2 years. Even if we're only considering mainstream support periods of the above, 6 years is a bit longer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Office#:~:text=Office versions Release date ,only%2C no software. 12 more rows

22 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I will give you that MIDI tracks have a much longer shelf life though. But also much less likely to need support.

I still have books I purchased in the 70s and the 80s. Some books have lasted even longer than that. 

I am starting wander, what was the point again? Not even sure what I am arguing.

LOL I thought the used midi market was a funny comment.  I can't imagine people trying to sell their Toontrack midis.