Theme: Yellow Submarine (updated for 2021.12)

Starship Krupa

Another one of my based-on-an-animated-movie themes!

Travel back to Pepperland, 1969. The first rock 'n' roll record I ever owned: The Beatles' Soundtrack to Yellow Submarine. An odd confluence of events resulted in children of my generation (the one they never talk about between Baby Boomer and X) being exposed to, nay, immersed in the most psychedelic music of The Beatles' career. We get the title track featuring every child's favorite Beatle song and favorite Beatle on lead vocals, but then the record morphs into a 5-song EP of things that crawled from Apple Corps basement. It sounded to me like a record made up of those weird songs you'd find on the flip sides hit singles that only started to be cool after you listened to them half a dozen times, but then once you did, they were sometimes really  cool.

I could go on and on about the movie itself, lunchboxes, plastic submarine models and whatever, but I'll just say that it had a huge impact on my 8-year-old self and leave it at that.

Download it here.

image.thumb.png.0d88657ef03690932699c74c184ae612.png

Edited by Starship Krupa
Nickel Mint artwork changes
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Now I have the song stuck in my head complete with the incorrect words we used to sing it with in middle school lol.

One question, in the Custom module on your screenshot, there's a button named 'Clip Bounce', which I can't find to set on mine, is it the same as 'Bounce to Clip'? If so, that would be good to have it display as 'Clip Bounce' as I have both 'Bounce to Clip' and 'Bounce to Track' on mine but due to the button size both of them display 'Bounce to...' so the only way I know which is which is to remember their position, not an issue but would be nice to quickly see which is which and also not to look like I have a duplicate button.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matthew White said:

there's a button named 'Clip Bounce', which I can't find to set on mine, is it the same as 'Bounce to Clip'? If so, that would be good to have it display as 'Clip Bounce' as I have both 'Bounce to Clip' and 'Bounce to Track' on mine but due to the button size both of them display 'Bounce to...' so the only way I know which is which is to remember their position, not an issue but would be nice to quickly see which is which and also not to look like I have a duplicate button.

Yes, it is our friend "Bounce To Clip(s)," renamed to Clip Bounce for the reason you mention. "Bounce To...." is too ambiguous. I happened to notice at some point that "Rename" was in the right-click menu for Custom module buttons and set about making my own shorthand. You'll also notice that I have a button called "Render," which is File|Export|Audio.

It's interesting how we check out each others' Custom Modules to see what we consider to be the commands we want to have a button-press away. I have a "Track Mgr." button because I noticed it in one of Colin's theme screencaps. Rename was a good friend when I put a Zoom To Fit Project Horizontally button on there; it's now "Fit Width."

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I happened to notice at some point that "Rename" was in the right-click menu for Custom module buttons

Wow! Isn't that strange? For some reason my eyes/brain must have ignored that option all this time and I had no idea/recollection it was there. Thanks.

On 7/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, John Nelson said:

I like your approach to theming, go bold as it were.

Thank you so much, John.

I do have the one theme that's my "fade into the background theme," Racing Green, but yeah, the "bold" is fun. I find myself switching back and forth between them even during a session, depending on the task at hand. The bold ones seem to be good for initial inspiration, coming up with chords, beats, and basslines for EDM, and then for the more technical tasks of editing, comping, and mixing, I switch back to the soothing green.

And speaking of switching back and forth, when I switch over to Mercury and Tungsten, I'm reminded of how much a custom theme (and color preset) can improve upon them by adding contrast. This is especially true in the Track Pane and Piano Roll, where I like to have brighter gridlines and more contrast between foreground and background.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...