Transition from Audacity to Cakewalk questions

Em Erogork

I presently use Audacity but I hear there are unholy goings-on after its transfer of ownership and am looking into Cakewalk to see if it does what I need. Audacity works for me owing it its simplicity as I use it for recording far more than any editing or mixing. I record on one mono track and add comments on a second one.

I start the recording at 3am on Saturday night and it records until 2am Sunday morning. I then replay the track as I find time to listen to it during the week.  When I replay it, I use a second track to take notes or make comments.  Audacity has an option for "timer record" that can be set to start and stop so that I don't have to be awake at those times. The source for this recording is an automated selection of hour-long URLs/Website productions/podcasts. 

One thing that Audacity did not have is feature to automatically adjust the volume for when podcasts are not broadcast and constant levels relative to each other.

As you can see, I do not need any of the sophistication or versatility available in Cakewalk. It looks as if I can simplify the screen by having only the controls I need for this project. Maybe a much simpler recorder may be in order.

Here is an example of my present set up.  Can this be done in Cakewalk?

Audacity snip.JPG

A DAW like Cakewalk  is really way overkill for what you are doing. What you need is a Wave editor  but with multi track capabilities. Most don’t have multi track capabilities  

Audacity and Wave lab are the only 2 I can think of. 

A DAW won’t have a timer function and because they record larger files there is a possible time limit. 

Wave editors let you record to MP3 so files can be small. 

But why not keep using Audacity? If they screw it up down the road don’t upgrade. 

Your best bet is likely to stay with the current version of Audacity that you are already using and not update to version 3.

If you've already updated to version 3 then you can uninstall version 3, download and install the older V2.4.2 from Fosshub here.

Having said all that, the new owner stated the data collection information in the privacy text was poorly written and misunderstood.

12 hours ago, Em Erogork said:

unholy goings-on

Human sacrifice?

Satan worship?

Cats and dogs mating?

Exactly what is the issue? If it is the collection of user data, it is likely that you have consented to worse than that with your operating system before you could even run your computer already. Have you read the privacy policy for this forum site prior to posting? 

If there is a problem with the code not working, I would be interested in knowing about that before I update Audacity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 5:40 PM, Em Erogork said:

I presently use Audacity but I hear there are unholy goings-on after its transfer of ownership and am looking into Cakewalk to see if it does what I need. Audacity works for me owing it its simplicity as I use it for recording far more than any editing or mixing. I record on one mono track and add comments on a second one.

According to this article, Audacity 3.02 (the current version) is unaffected by the changes. "We should be clear that these changes come with the currently unreleased version 3.03"

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2021/07/12/audacity-spyware/

You could probably use Cakewalk, but using a DAW instead of an audio editor for your purposes could set you up for an unholy learning curve!

• Like 1