"For the Masses" - World Funk Synth House (edited)

PhonoBrainer

Some changes, better bass, better horn section (I think?) and fixed some video sync problems!

Many thanks for the helpful feedback! - I would sincerely take on board any critiques,  especially the mix -  help me make this better? 

Please bump the settings up to 1440p if your connection can manage?  

There is a  Bandcamp or Soundcloud link below the video if you don't need the visuals.

thanks!

-Tom

https://phonobrainer.bandcamp.com/track/for-the-masses

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Like 3

Nice Tom.
This is different from other stuff I have heard from you.
Bassline is funky!! Clever lyrics.
Love the 04.37 bit...  lol

We all paint very different pictures..
To my ears the synth verb (horns) seems not to fit into the overall picture when it first comes in and seems a little tinny. (2.52) and I am hearing some distortion in the composition.  (just my ears).

• Like 1

Very clever, I like it. The mix sounds really good, the funky guitar is cool. The horns are pretty jarring, maybe just too loud. I do think you could find some better sounding horns. Over all great effort.

• Like 1

Tom . . . so much fun ! . . . perhaps more fun than humans should be having ? Oh well, we deserve it after last year. A few days ago I just listened to the music, then tonight had a go at the video . . . and I must say I got the same sense, as with many of your other projects online, that I would be coming back again and again for many other listens and viewings, you've got a lot going on in this one, just excellent.

Now those horns, why so much louder > dang, there's the phone . . . likely my neighbors calling to complain about the volume (again)

The whole thing seems a very interesting poke at modern society. Your educated "rap" is unlike any other I've heard . . . and I knew it was you singing when you went for that low growl around 2:24 . . . reminiscent of your other projects. Sounds great on my big speakers, my small speakers, and my studio headphones, you've mostly got it covered . . . except for the dreaded Ford Ranger stereo highway test, I'll let you know how it goes . . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garybrun said:

I think this is brilliant Tom

YES, Bloody Brilliant Tom, Bloody Brilliant.

t

I'm the only one who has "liked" and "commented"?
This is a tough room man, a very tough room...

one little suggestion; if I was co-producing I would add a little hesitation after each "stop",
so it doesn't come back exactly on the beat.
A "pregnant" pause if you get my meaning...

• Like 2