Independent outputs for each channel / instrument in Cakewalk

Nio Sebez

Hello. is my first post on this forum. I am Nio,  from Spain, greetings to all.

Basically what I want to do and that is why I ask for help from who can help me is the following.

We are forming a musical group to play some of our own songs live, what happens is that we are only the 2 guitarists, we lack the bass, drums and keyboards. So it has occurred to me, for rehearsals, to separate the tracks of the missing components, bass, drums and keyboards and take their audio through different cables to various amplifiers and speakers, and mute the channels that we will play live (2 guitars and vocals), so that when you start cakewalk and the song starts the sounding channels / instruments seem to come out of separate amps and speakers just as they would if the musicians were playing there. I do not know if I explained well. Maybe we need a mixer?

Thank you

Nio sebez

Hi. There’s a few options. I have used backing tracks since 1984. We started with using midi and sound modules. Lots of cables to hook up. I later transferred all my tracks as stereo recordings to Mini Disk. Next was a laptop using Win Amp for playback. I’ve been using this for last 20 years. 
I just made a well balanced mix in stereo and it always works great. 
We also sometimes split the bass into left channel and the drums and keyboard into right. 
I would run the bass channel direct to a bass amp and the drums and keyboard to the pa. 

The other option of using Cakewalk for your playback is much more complicated but many people do this.
You will need a audio interface with as many outputs as you plan on needing. My problem with using Cakewalk is it was to slow changing between songs. Something always screwed up. 

Also your back to a complicated cables etc setting up. My system I just plug a mini jack into the laptop and to a stereo input on the mixer. I also use a USB foot switch to start and stop the music   

Edited by John Vere

Excuse me that I put it in Spanish without realizing it

Hello. Thanks for her responses.

It wouldn't really be to play live, (that would come later). At the moment we just want to rehearse in the rehearsal room.

The idea is that since we are only 2 guitarists, and my songs have, in addition to the 2 guitars, bass, drums and keyboards, what I have thought is to take the laptop to the rehearsal room, and mute the tracks of our instruments, they allow let the missing instruments sound, that is, bass, drums and keyboards.

That is why I would like those instruments to be played on separate speakers as if there were real musicians.

Everything could be played to the same speaker, that would be easy, but it would be much better if each instrument sounded through its own speaker, that's the point I'm looking for.

That way I would film every Cakewalk song and we could rehearse the songs even if a band member is missing.

I don't know if the google translate has worked well

---------------------------------------

Hola. Gracias por sus respuestas..

En realidad no sería para tocar en vivo, (eso vendría después). Por el momento solo queremos ensayar en la sala de ensayo.

La idea es que como somos solo 2 guitarristas, y mis canciones tienen, además de las 2 guitarras, bajo, batería y teclados, lo que he pensado es llevar el portátil a la sala de ensayo, y silenciar las pistas de nuestro instrumentos, permiten que suenen los instrumentos que nos faltan, es decir, bajo, batería y teclados.

Por eso me gustaría que esos instrumentos se tocaran en altavoces separados como si hubiera músicos reales.

Todo se podría reproducir al mismo altavoz, eso sería fácil, pero sería mucho mejor si cada instrumento sonara a través de su propio altavoz, ese es el punto que estoy buscando.

De esa manera, filmaría cada canción de Cakewalk y podríamos ensayar las canciones incluso si falta algún miembro de la banda.

No sé si el traductor de Google ha funcionado bien 😉

Edited by Nio Sebez

In order to accomplish this, you will need an audio interface with multiple outputs. Unfortunately, that also means investing in a higher-end (read: more expensive) interface. There are other reasons for acquiring such a device, though, such as the ability to have multiple headphone mixes and multiple speaker setups. So even if this scheme doesn't work out you won't be sorry you bought a full-featured audio interface.

For simplicity, though, I'd echo Noel's suggestion and just run those backing tracks through a full-range system like a PA, or even headphones. Save the complexity for your music.

That said, in a live performance situation I think separate amplification could be very cool. I once heard a solo guitar performance wherein each string on the guitar had its own output and its own amplifier, and the effect was awesome.

One benefit of the setup described in the OP is the ease of adding other musicians. For instance, if you want to add a bass player you don't have to modify the sequence or the mix. Just do not plug in the bass send. The player can then set up a rig and play the part.

FWIW I have been part of a similar project. It is very complex to program the sequence. The mix must be tweaked for each venue so it is best to use a mixer that is also the interface and has multiple outputs such as an M32. The result can sound amazing but for the most part, only a small percentage of the audience seems to care. AND the real drawback is load-in/out, not to mention the expense of all the extra gear. 

If the pay or other compensation justifies the effort, go for it. Otherwise follow the KISS rule and use MP3's for backing tracks.

3 hours ago, Base 57 said:

Un beneficio de la configuración descrita en el OP es la facilidad de agregar otros músicos. Por ejemplo, si desea agregar un bajista, no tiene que modificar la secuencia o la mezcla. Simplemente no conecte el envío de graves. A continuación, el jugador puede montar un equipo e interpretar el papel.

FWIW He formado parte de un proyecto similar. Es muy complejo programar la secuencia. La mezcla debe ajustarse para cada lugar, por lo que es mejor usar un mezclador que también sea la interfaz y tenga múltiples salidas, como un M32. El resultado puede sonar asombroso, pero en su mayor parte, solo un pequeño porcentaje de la audiencia parece preocuparse. Y el verdadero inconveniente es la carga de entrada / salida, sin mencionar el gasto de todo el equipo adicional. 

Si el pago u otra compensación justifica el esfuerzo, hágalo. De lo contrario, siga la regla KISS y use MP3 para las pistas de acompañamiento.

Thank you, if I think that's what I want. But I repeat, it is not for live performances but for rehearsals, although it can be used live too, of course.

Thank you all for participating :)

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Para lograr esto, necesitará una interfaz de audio con múltiples salidas. Desafortunadamente, eso también significa invertir en una interfaz de gama alta (léase: más cara). Sin embargo, existen otras razones para adquirir un dispositivo de este tipo, como la capacidad de tener múltiples mezclas de auriculares y múltiples configuraciones de altavoces. Entonces, incluso si este esquema no funciona, no lamentará haber comprado una interfaz de audio con todas las funciones.

Sin embargo, por simplicidad, me haría eco de la sugerencia de Noel y simplemente ejecutaría esas pistas de acompañamiento a través de un sistema de rango completo como un PA, o incluso auriculares. Guarde la complejidad de su música.

Dicho esto, en una situación de actuación en vivo, creo que la amplificación separada podría ser muy buena. Una vez escuché una interpretación de guitarra solista en la que cada cuerda de la guitarra tenía su propia salida y su propio amplificador, y el efecto era asombroso.

Yes, I think I need an interface with enough outputs and route each channel to a different output in cakewalk.
Thanks friend

Like I say I’ve been doing this for 30 years. I make all my backing tracks in Cakewalk and those projects  which is Over 200 songs, are super easy to remix any way I need them to be.
My stereo mixes sound great in any venue. Do DJ’s use different versions of hit recordings in different venues?  And as said above,the punters couldn’t tell the difference anyway. 
I have mostly played as both a duo and Single. When I play with a keyboard player I simply use the same songs and mute the keyboard buss in the project before I export. You can simply have a collection of tracks with different mixes for different band configurations. And I use Wave. Why use MP3?  
Most important part of using backing tracks is the player!  Cakewalk is too slow between songs. I can start the next song exactly when I want to with my set up. I use USB foot switch. I can advance to the next song while the last one is not even finished. I can skip a song in a second. I can jump anywhere on my set list using my feet. 
On the other topic of using a bunch of amps instead of a PA. Bands that do that often have a terrible sound and very uneven balance. It can work if done with high quality gear and a roaming sound person. But it seems more often these bands use cheap underpowered practice amps therefore the bad quality 

27 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Like I say I’ve been doing this for 30 years. I make all my backing tracks in Cakewalk and those projects  which is Over 200 songs, are super easy to remix any way I need them to be.
My stereo mixes sound great in any venue. Do DJ’s use different versions of hit recordings in different venues?  And as said above,the punters couldn’t tell the difference anyway. 
I have mostly played as both a duo and Single. When I play with a keyboard player I simply use the same songs and mute the keyboard buss in the project before I export. You can simply have a collection of tracks with different mixes for different band configurations. And I use Wave. Why use MP3?  
Most important part of using backing tracks is the player!  Cakewalk is too slow between songs. I can start the next song exactly when I want to with my set up. I use USB foot switch. I can advance to the next song while the last one is not even finished. I can skip a song in a second. I can jump anywhere on my set list using my feet. 
On the other topic of using a bunch of amps instead of a PA. Bands that do that often have a terrible sound and very uneven balance. It can work if done with high quality gear and a roaming sound person. But it seems more often these bands use cheap underpowered practice amps therefore the bad quality 

Hello jhon,

I appreciate the comment, and I know what you mean, I have also been for more than 10 years performing as a trio and quartet and dance band at events such as parties, weddings, and all kinds of celebrations. At first we all went live, after the midi came in, which shot directly from a Korg keyboard, and certain musicians began to be dispensed with because with the synthesizer keyboard they were easily expendable.
  Over time I also began to use the Minidisc with the audio recorded midis and with the tracks or instrument that I would need, and everything came out through the PA speakers.

But I am talking about a system for the rehearsal room, NOT to for performing to the public

Edited by Nio Sebez
  • Like 1

Ok sorry I missed that point on my phone some of your posts are in Spanish. 
So I guess my issues with Cakewalk would not matter in a rehearsal space where you have time and can leave it all hooked up. So what you need will be an audio interface with lots of outputs. Possibly a combination mixer and interface would be perfect. The good ones are not cheap and some have issues working well with cakewalk 

I just looked and the Focusrite 18i20 has 10 outputs but $800

but then there’s this 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820--behringer-u-phoria-umc1820-usb-audio-interface

Edited by John Vere

14 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Ok sorry I missed that point on my phone some of your posts are in Spanish. 
So I guess my issues with Cakewalk would not matter in a rehearsal space where you have time and can leave it all hooked up. So what you need will be an audio interface with lots of outputs. Possibly a combination mixer and interface would be perfect. The good ones are not cheap and some have issues working well with cakewalk 

I just looked and the Focusrite 18i20 has 10 outputs but $800

but then there’s this 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820--behringer-u-phoria-umc1820-usb-audio-interface

Yes Jhon, something like that i think need, can be the solution...