1. Fix what we have now

In browser pane, when we type in something it quickly searches. When we search something with a long name, or when we mistype something & we wait a bit, it starts the search & CbB becomes unresponsive until the results come up.

This can be annoying sometimes, when the collection of samples is huge. So, it would be better if Cakewalk looked for it after hitting the Return/Enter key.

2. Additional Feature

It would be good to see the sample waveform somewhere in the browser, like in Ableton, Studio One, Reaper and all. It can quickly give the producer an idea about the sample.

Edited by AdK Studios
  • Like 2

1. Is a huge PITA....I rarely use the text search because if I type wrong thing it can spend 7-8 mins sifting through almost 1Tb of samples

I've posted previously to ask if there any way to index the search to speed up the whole process.  It's got to the point now where it's actually easier to use Splice.com instead of the local sample HDD

2. This goes hand in hand with many requests for a proper built in sampler instrument  - How about it Bakers ?

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 1

Additionally to #2, I've put in a feature request a few times for a trimmer built into the Browser. When you click on a sample, you get the waveform preview, but then you'd be able to zoom in on it and select a time range that you can drag to a track. That way if you have a long sample but only need a particular part of it, you don't need to drag it all in and trim later.

Eg: here's Vegas:

vegas_select.gif.fa8b9154813c485b94e03f1483c926b1.gif

And you could do something like this:

browser_with_trimmer.PNG.a8624dc82290f52810bbf33ecb64082e.PNG

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Great Idea 1

I've always thought Cakewalk has always had a great sample and acid file creation feature, as seen when double clicking an audio clip but always felt it was incomplete with its library browsing and preview capability.

I use ADSR Sample Manager alongside Cakewalk and any DAW I use as it offers all of the features listed in this thread as lacking, as well as offers more than what other DAWs are capable of providing.   And it's free so why not?

It's an answer to a problem I have always run into which is learning every DAWs particular sample management capability.  With ADSR It solved that and I no longer use any DAWs sample browser and editors.

BandLab Assistant manager I find to be a great way to obtain sample packs, MIDI packs, and one shots that sounds pretty great and works great alongside Cakewalk.  However, it isn't an editor and there isn't a wave form previewer so if that is what you need then perhaps BandLab will implement such features into the assistant manager??

Edited by clovis

Noel has mentioned that Bandlab Sample Pack browsing will be native to CbB sometime in the future (rather than using Bandlab Assistant, which is getting progressively phased out for us) so hopefully it means there'll be an overhaul to the Browser in general.

ADSR is excellent though, if we're talking 3rd party solutions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clovis said:

I use ADSR Sample Manager alongside Cakewalk and any DAW I use as it offers all of the features listed in this thread as lacking, as well as offers more than what other DAWs are capable of providing.   And it's free so why not?

I like it in principle but it always freezes and crashes on me so I can't use it for anything serious. Doesn't matter how many updates to ADSR or CBB there are , the results seem to be the same. I think it possibly struggles with the size of my sample drive, the first sample always works and subsequently it freezes.

• 2 months later...

Voicing my support here as well 👍Think it would be tremendously valuable addition. Side-by-side terrible mockup using REAPER's waveform preview as inspiration:

image.thumb.png.c31d1c7c47c40d51b144cfefdcbf8e63.png

On 7/6/2021 at 11:32 PM, Clovis Ramsay said:

This is a solid answer to be honest. I think it's preferable that it be part of the DAW itself (it can integrate with the rest of the codebase and features natively that way, offering things that external VST's can't) but ADSR Sample Manager docked in the MultiDock isn't a bad answer.

image.thumb.png.82dee325a1343ed5473b748dd57cc59e.png

Edited by Gavin Ray
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Ray said:

solid answer to be honest. I think it's preferable that it be part of the DAW itself (it can integrate with the rest of the codebase and features natively that way, offering things that external VST's can't) but ADSR Sample Manager docked in the MultiDock isn't a bad answer.

ADSR just released a new update, I might try it after they roll out the next CBB version

• Like 1