CPU usage 50% when idle

jimlynch22

@Milton Sica In my case it is because I use an older Dell Inspiron Core i5, 16GB Ram, 2GB SSD system. And as always is the case with laptops the FAN can get noisy at higher CPU %s and a laptop because of restricted inside space can heat up alot faster than a spacier desktop. So I just wanted to have a bit more silence which has been sorted by "Always Stream Audio Through FX" preference set to off.  I found when working with a project of 25 audio tracks with efx on most .. the cpu for CW was well up even when project was idol and fan going ( overall cpu in task manager at 90% ). By disabling "Always Stream Audio Through FX" it pretty much sorted this because apparently many efx plugs still "active" in use even when a project is idol.  

• Thanks 1

There's one - sofar unmentioned as far as I can tell - side-effect of disabling "Always Stream Audio Through FX".  If you have a delay/reverb on a clip/track/bus, the tail is not played once playback stops.  This is especially noticeable if there's an effect on the last clip (the end of the last clip usually signifiies the end of playback, so you would need to extend with silence or put an envelope node after the end of the clip).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

There's one - sofar unmentioned as far as I can tell - side-effect of disabling "Always Stream Audio Through FX".  If you have a delay/reverb on a clip/track/bus, the tail is not played once playback stops.  This is especially noticeable if there's an effect on the last clip (the end of the last clip usually signifiies the end of playback, so you would need to extend with silence or put an envelope node after the end of the clip).

OR freeze the track with tail before disabling "Always Stream Audio Through FX"

I tried  disabling "Always Stream Audio Through FX" and Cakewalk CPU usage still went from under 10% to over 50% with the transport not running, just by opening the Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter plugin. So other things can be at play when looking at CPU.  Just saying. So now I just don't open the adaptive limiter unless I need to see it. 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:59 AM, aidan o driscoll said:

Im just curious why it would go this high in Task manager - to near 100%. And afraid that may cause articfacts/glitches in the export + I am sure its not good to have precessor at sustained 100%?

I have to chuckle a bit at this because historically there have been far more posts expressing concern that the export process does not usually run the CPU at 100%, and therefore could theoretically be completing faster. ;^)

Incidentally, I have the audio engine toggle bound to the tilde/accent key, and frequently bop it to stop the engine when making edits hat I don't need to hear, or when walking away from the DAW for extended periods.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yeah I'd like to know how he gets it to consume 100% on his machine. Maybe he knows something I don't lol.

779214108_cW_exportprocesses.jpg.d933cdfc0cccbb7eab23a194710ea6b1.jpg

@Noel Borthwick  A picture doesnt lie in case you doubt me. There you go .. 

That % sits at around 95% for the whole export process. The rest of percent made up of small usage from windows itself.