On Off World

TracingArcs

9 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Very nice!  Enjoyed listening  to this on a lazy afternoon.

I'm not familiar with Jon Hassell.  Will have to check out his music.

-Bjorn

He worked with Terry Riley on the original  "In C" in the 60s, Brian Eno, Talking Heads, Peter Gabriel, Ry Cooder, many films, invented mixing world music with electronics and samplers, and a host more. Recommend - Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics, City: Works of Fiction, Last Night the Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes in the Street (some great live performance available on YouTube).

Edited by TracingArcs

Very glad I had headphones on! A great compilation composition . . . you may have intended it, to me the mix tilts towards the lower eq regions, some of those bassy pads are filling up the low end nicely, but I'm missing some brightness in this I think. Could be the headphones perhaps? 

Love the journey, the "world music meets the outer world" vibe . . .very groovy indeed!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Very glad I had headphones on! A great compilation composition . . . you may have intended it, to me the mix tilts towards the lower eq regions, some of those bassy pads are filling up the low end nicely, but I'm missing some brightness in this I think. Could be the headphones perhaps? 

Love the journey, the "world music meets the outer world" vibe . . .very groovy indeed!

cheers,

-Tom

I noticed when I placed an octave shift on the trumpet to get that Jon Hassell sound. It altered the tone of the whole thing. The high end of the trumpet went. And the lower freq seemed to get boosted more across the whole. I cut the pads to compensate. Without the shift on the trumpet it did not have the same vibe. I use both Sennheiser and AKG headphones. And it seemed balanced. But this was a fast, inspirational thing done very quickly. And it may well be that my ears were missing things by the end. Glad you like it though.