Keystrokes not sent to instruments

CLR

I have a really weird and incredibly frustrating problem.  When I use a plug-in instrument that allows me to type into it (like to enter a file name to save a patch) the keystrokes are grabbed by Cakewalk instead.  For example, in Kontakt Massive X if I change a patch and hit the save icon an entry field comes up to type the new preset name.  If I hit "g" then cakewalk's "goto" dialog pops up instead of the letter G Massive X's entry field.  If I type 2 while the focus and cursor are on the new preset name field, it shifts to view #2 in Cakewalk instead.  Even though the focus is on the instrument (its title bar is black while cakewalk's is greyed out), keystrokes are grabbed by Cakewalk instead.  

This leave me NO way to save new presets (even pasting won't work), or use keystrokes for some instruments that allow them.  It doesn't happen if an instrument uses the Windows dialog box to save and load - just if it uses keystrokes within the instrument.  I really only have VST2 instruments that do this so i can't tell if it happens to all types.  If I run them as standalone outside of Cakewalk, like using Guitar Rig 6 in standalone, then I can type a new filename fine.  But using Guitar Rig as an FX in Cakewalk I cannot ever save a new preset.

Weird and frustrating!