Strange Audio issue

brandon

Question

Currently working on a project. There's 4 instrument audio tracks and another 9 vocal tracks. I only unmute one vocal track at a time as I only eventually want one of them. The project plays fine. 

Over the last few days i created some vocal tracks (hence why there is 9) with no problem whatsoever. 

I opened the project today and everything still plays fine until I start to record another audio vocal track.  When I play the recording back the vocal track is very quiet and very fuzzy and sounds very transistor radio like from the 60s. The backing music is fine. However the wave form is large and obviously something has been recorded. 

I havent changed anything on my setup since my last recording session a couple of days ago. I am using a Shure SM58 mic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen AI and its a Dell PC with lots of RAM and storage memory.

Has anyone any ideas what may have occurred here (as I say I havent changed anything since my last session)? I have tried unplugging the mic and other cables all to no avail.  I even tried a different channel to record through on the audio interface. 

I also might add  I have also tried it with an acoustic guitar plugged in to the same audio interface and the problem is the same. A very strange lofi weak fuzzy sound that is recorded. 

Edited by brandon
mistake

5 answers to this question

Also ran into this one time. I didn't have to uninstall anything. I just went into my driver settings - lowered the sample rate, applied it and changed it back to the previous setting. 

Not sure if its windows changing it at power-off | OR | at startup as a "SAFETY" precaution? 

Certain streaming platforms also change driver settings automatically during a stream where windows locks it as a safety render/streaming sample rate. 

I have learned to check my sample rates first thing before I create/record anything.