How do I delete a patch point?

Colin Nicholls

Question

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I created an aux track and then decided I didn't need it at all. I deleted the tracks, but the associated new Patch Point still shows up in the input/output list. How can I delete it from the project?

This should be a request on deleting it in one go.

I hate having to go back in to it to remove it. 

Just to be clear, this is easy to duplicate from scratch:

Set up:

• Create a new empty project.
  • Add new Audio Track 1
  • Set Output of Track 1 to "New Aux Track". (Track 2 "Aux 1" is created)
  • Delete tracks 1 and 2.
  • Add new Audio Track 1 and open the Output selector menu

Situation:

• Aux 1 is an available output destination.

A) How to remove Aux 1 from the output destination list, according to @scook:

• In the new audio track 1, add a send to Aux 1.
  • Drop down the Send destination menu and select "Delete Send"

Observe:

• Aux 1 is no longer an available destination.

B) How to remove Aux 1 from output destination list, according to @Lord Tim:

• Save the project and close it
  • Re-open the project

Observe:

• Aux 1 is no longer an available destination.

Thanks, @scook & @Lord Tim, this was driving me crazy. Is it just me or is this counter-intuitive?

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

I have a vague memory of there being some garbage collection when closing a project when it comes to orphaned patch points. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

You are correct. If I save the project, then re-open it, the Aux 1 patch point no longer exists as a destination.

Okay, well let me update my post above.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I think the idea was that since Patch Points and Aux Tracks are essentially the same thing under the hood, accidentally deleting a track or send with one in there and it getting removed entirely from the project immediately could cause pandemonium as everything struggles to work out where to re-route everything, so it ended up as "go your hardest, we'll clean up your mess at the end."

I'm pretty on top of Patch Points and Aux Track management usually so I don't think too much about the garbage collection thing, however... when you start to bring in Track Templates which have all of the Bus/Aux/Points routing in there too, managing that can be a nightmare. CbB makes a pretty good attempt to get it all working but there's been a few times where I've run into orphan points, incorrectly assigned sends, etc. so there's definitely room for improvement here.

3 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

CbB makes a pretty good attempt to get it all working but there's been a few times where I've run into orphan points, incorrectly assigned sends, etc. so there's definitely room for improvement here.

This is definitely an area I prefer Cakewalk to take care of automatically, as opposed to offering up a dialog with a prompt along the lines of "Do you want to delete this object? Hint: Both answers are wrong"