Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A new Scandalous Grace song with the band.  Let me know what you think of this mix.  

Performed by Scandalous Grace
Words & Mu­sic: Michael Hanson
Sean Peifer: BG Vox, Electric Rhythm, Guitar Solo.
Michael Hanson: Lead Vocal, Bass, Electric Rhythm, Drum Programming, Mixing and mastering.
Reece Bain: Keys and BGVs.

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson/rain-31

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bring bass and harmonies  down a tad.maybe a low pass filter for smother highs.jack c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has some beatles influence, nice.  I like the use of piano in this one.  The vocals are nice a clear.  Mix sounded pretty decent to me, but I listened on headphones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI Michael

I listened to this on my studio Monitors and certainly up to around the 1.10sec mark I thought the guitar was up a little loud in the left channel

Apart from that, I thought it was a good track and well put together

Cool stuff

Nigel

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Michael , I Really liked this song . I Really liked the main vocal track and the lead guitar.   There is something about the left guitar and at places on the right guitar that's creating an out of balance feel for me. Like maybe just too much FX and not enough highs or a different EQ on the left one. Maybe they're  panned too far or on the wrong side. If I got this one for mixing , I'd just start with the drums and bass ,  bring in the backing instruments in pairs , clean them up and find a nice balance. I'm sure you've already done a Lot of work , but I think this song is Very worthy of a remix. I hope you don't think I'm too picky , but I Love it when people get Real picky with my stuff.   I still enjoyed it ..   Much respect ..  mark

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is not like you chaps but something about the whole start just felt disjointed.  It felt tome like to disparate tunes were playing over the top of each other.  I do wonder if perhaps the over distorted guitar is just that over distorted.

Other than that the mix sounds OK here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guitars sound very harsh on my Focals.  (very distorted and over powered on the left)
Have you mixed this for a long period of time?
This is how my mixes go when spending too much time on them.

I agree with what Mark says.

This is just my opinion as we all paint very different pictures.

sound very beetlish  to me..  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, jack c. said:

bring bass and harmonies  down a tad.maybe a low pass filter for smother highs.jack c.

Jack- Thank you for listening and commenting.  I will take this into consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, David Sprouse said:

This has some beatles influence, nice.  I like the use of piano in this one.  The vocals are nice a clear.  Mix sounded pretty decent to me, but I listened on headphones.

David- Thank you for listening and commenting brother.  The Beatles were a huge influence on me in my early life, so they tend to find their way into most of my music.  I had many influences of course, but they were a foundation.  I liked the piano track that Reece came up with as well.  I found it quite interesting playing against the electric guitars.  It reminded me of "rain" in the way that he played the part at the beginning and then reentering at the end.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 5:48 AM, Bajan Blue said:

HI Michael

I listened to this on my studio Monitors and certainly up to around the 1.10sec mark I thought the guitar was up a little loud in the left channel

Apart from that, I thought it was a good track and well put together

Cool stuff

Nigel

 

 

Nigel - Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this song.  I will play around some more with the guitar track on the left.  It was the original instrument track that was the basis for the song.  Seems like in different ways, it is bothering everyone in one way or another.  Maybe slightly lower in volume will solve that problem.  Maybe try a few different things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2021 at 6:07 PM, mark skinner said:

  Michael , I Really liked this song . I Really liked the main vocal track and the lead guitar.   There is something about the left guitar and at places on the right guitar that's creating an out of balance feel for me. Like maybe just too much FX and not enough highs or a different EQ on the left one. Maybe they're  panned too far or on the wrong side. If I got this one for mixing , I'd just start with the drums and bass ,  bring in the backing instruments in pairs , clean them up and find a nice balance. I'm sure you've already done a Lot of work , but I think this song is Very worthy of a remix. I hope you don't think I'm too picky , but I Love it when people get Real picky with my stuff.   I still enjoyed it ..   Much respect ..  mark

Mark - Thank you for listening and commenting.  Starting with the drums, bass and lead vocal, then bringing everything else up to the correct level around them, is pretty much how I have mixed for the last 25 years.  I'm sure with some relatively minor tweaks, this mix will be up to the level of our typical songs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wookiee said:

This is not like you chaps but something about the whole start just felt disjointed.  It felt tome like to disparate tunes were playing over the top of each other.  I do wonder if perhaps the over distorted guitar is just that over distorted.

Other than that the mix sounds OK here.

Wookie - Thanks for your comments brother.  Yes, this intro is really different for us.  It is definitely an odd mixture between overdriven guitar tone and clean piano.  I found it oddly interesting.  I will mess around a little with re-amping my left channel electric guitar tone, maybe a different amp or less overdrive will help bring them together in a more pleasing way.   

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, garybrun said:

The guitars sound very harsh on my Focals.  (very distorted and over powered on the left)
Have you mixed this for a long period of time?
This is how my mixes go when spending too much time on them.

I agree with what Mark says.

This is just my opinion as we all paint very different pictures.

sound very beetlish  to me..  🙂

Gary - I much appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this mix.  The left guitar seems to have gotten much notice.  I am not sure why exactly.  It's my ES-335 through a familiar amp setting for me, on many of our tunes.  I will try changing it up a bit and see if that helps.   I didn't really mix this song for a long period of time, but the song has been in the works for several months, waiting on my band members to finish tracking their respective tracks.   

I will take the Beatlish as a compliment!  🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's a hooky tune, and the bass and drums keep the pulse and rhythm going well. Maybe a bit less flange on the hi-hat/cymbals, and I'd say the  now-infamous "guitar on the left" is more of a problem in the verses than it is in the chorus. Prolly just dial back the distortion?

The piano sounds like it's in a much drier space than the drums? I think you might find mixing this a more cohesive experience if you dried the drums up to match other elements - but the drums really aren't drenched to begin with. Just an observation, might be worth a look.

Cool lyrics and lead vocal? I'm not sure about the high harmony part, or high unison.

The strongest part was the outtro - that thing was groovin. The weakest part imho was the too long intro build. You might  stick the outtro on the front, and have that be your intro?

Crazy ideas, I got 'em! 

cheers, nice work!

-Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Well it's a hooky tune, and the bass and drums keep the pulse and rhythm going well. Maybe a bit less flange on the hi-hat/cymbals, and I'd say the  now-infamous "guitar on the left" is more of a problem in the verses than it is in the chorus. Prolly just dial back the distortion?

The piano sounds like it's in a much drier space than the drums? I think you might find mixing this a more cohesive experience if you dried the drums up to match other elements - but the drums really aren't drenched to begin with. Just an observation, might be worth a look.

Cool lyrics and lead vocal? I'm not sure about the high harmony part, or high unison.

The strongest part was the outtro - that thing was groovin. The weakest part imho was the too long intro build. You might  stick the outtro on the front, and have that be your intro?

Crazy ideas, I got 'em! 

cheers, nice work!

-Tom

Hi Tom - Thank you for listening and commenting.  I believe you listened to the original post last night.  I uploaded a new version shortly after your comments.  Interesting comment on the piano and drums.  I wish I had more control over the piano, but it was recorded live on a real piano.  I was having trouble getting it to be more present on the recorded track as more of a Lead instrument.  Adding more reverb would have only pushed it back in the mix more.  I like the tone of the drums, so I didn't really want to mess with them.  Is what it is, I guess, unless we retrack the piano.  

The song does really kick into a nice groove at the Solo section of the song and seems to carry on to the end.  In my view, its all performance.  Its like the band hit a nice pocket and stayed in it from there on out.   I like the arrangement as is, however.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new version of this song has been updated in Sound Cloud, based on many of the suggestions you have all made.  All additional comments are welcome, this process helps greatly to fine tune the recording and production process.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this tune. Great distorted. droning GTR groove. The vocal cuts through just so . Maybe just back out the of the bass a tad.

 

Cheers,

Bert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2021 at 1:29 AM, Bert Guy said:

I really like this tune. Great distorted. droning GTR groove. The vocal cuts through just so . Maybe just back out the of the bass a tad.

 

Cheers,

Bert

Thanks for the listen Bert!  Really glad that you liked the song.

Edited by michaelhanson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new version of this song has been uploaded to Sound Cloud.  I tamed the overdrive on the guitar on the left, per the suggestions above.  I think it fits and sounds much better now.  Let me know your thoughts before we call this one done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...