When I leave PC on sleep, Cakewalk misbehaves

Hi! This has happen to me every time I keep my PC on sleep with Cakewalk still running. And when I get back to it and press play, it plays the music in super fast speed. It has happened every time I leave my PC on sleep. I had to exit Cakewalk and open it again for it come back to normal. Does anyone know what is wrong with my PC or Cakewalk?

Thanks,

Pearlie

It's probably more to do with your audio interface / audio interface driver.  When the PC wakes up from sleep, the status of everything (including the audio interface driver) is restored.

However if the actual status of your audio interface mismatches what the driver thinks it is, you'll get these sorts of issues - at worst you could get a crash.

You could try turning the engine off then back on again within Cakewalk to see if this solves things:

image.png.37cd7e1301a0e976197ecee965dd1b35.png

The only other alternative is to save your project and close Cakewalk before putting your PC to sleep.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

55 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Any computer you are using for a DAW should never be allowed to sleep. Either turn it off or leave it on.

I disagree, and always allow my PC to go to sleep (S3, with hibernate disabled) after 30 minutes, and nothing bad ever happens here.

However, my PC will not sleep if an application has sent a powercfg request to windows to keep awake, for example:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Focusrite Usb Audio (FocusriteUSB\Audio&Adapter\1&1f5c0a88&0&id:0000000012358210)
An audio stream is currently in use.

Which pretty much rules out sleeping while my DAW, or any other application (not including Windows audio) that uses my Focusrite USB Audio driver is still open... :)

Edited by abacab

USB ports can become unresponsive after a sleep, or just due to your power scheme. You can go into Device Manager and exclude them from whatever power-saving scheme you've specified.

In Device Manager, locate your USB port (it'll be called "USB Root Hub", and there will likely be more than one so do this for all of them). Right-click on each USB device, select Properties and go to the Power Management tab. If the box labeled "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked, un-check it.

• Great Idea 1