In general which compressors are worth buying for Cakewalk? ( best all rounder )

aidan o driscoll

7 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Nice channel strip, 2 compressors and you also get the EQ and console emulation.

Absolutely. A steal at that price. $30ish instead of $199 and better if you have codes for everyplugin etc

https://everyplugin.com/cla-mixhub.html

This is a quick BIO so to speak:

"Plugins normally work on only one channel at a time. CLA MixHub is the first plugin to work in buckets – groupings of up to 8 channels, in up to 8 buckets in total. In other words, you can mix up to 64 channels from one CLA MixHub plugin window. By mixing tracks side by side in the MixHub’s buckets, you’ll gain a mixing perspective that lets you immediately hear how one track’s processing affects others within a song."

Have a look at this vid on its usage/review:

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I am a happy camper with this now. What i was looking for plus alot more I did not know about :D

Outside of the sidechain thing it allows you to mix multiple tracks in "Buckets"

ce0eabb764394a4d6b92f9b03120e3f1.jpg

Also has INSERT section for other Waves EFX

Price normally - $199

Hey you just reminded me that Waves Scheps Omni Channel also has a compressor! With side chain! I forgot about that one. It works in CbB!

SOC also has side chain on the Gate and DS modules.

$35.99 on sale https://www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-omni-channel#presenting-scheps-omni-channel

Scheps Omni.JPG

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

CA-2A or any of the _A-2A emulators, CLA-76 is two compressors and limiters in one and is a beautiful compressor that just gives you instant results, i love results.  Then I use the ProChannel P4k 1176 compressor a good bit for general uses but especially for frequency triggered side chaining!   Its a lovely feature having the sidechain to trigger by frequency really helps to allow tracks to move out of each others way when sharing the same frequency bandwith.  Bass and Kick, Snare and Vocals, Guitar solos that need to be outfront can just step on in as the sidechain pushes back the other guitars on the same frequency band.   Love that ProChannel module.

• Like 1

I use Console 1 for (almost) all my channel strip, but the Scheps Omni Channel is my favorite outside the Console 1 platform.

The 3 compressors, and double de-esser makes it stand above the CLA Mixhub, IMO.

All the best.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zargg said:

I use Console 1 for (almost) all my channel strip, but the Scheps Omni Channel is my favorite outside the Console 1 platform.

The 3 compressors, and double de-esser makes it stand above the CLA Mixhub, IMO.

All the best.

The saturation is pretty darn good too!

Edited by mibby
  • Like 3

I would have recommended the SOC, or all the same reasons Ken and mibby stated.. but I stayed  focused on just a stand alone comp.  And the C1 is just a really good, quick and easy comp. 

Clovis mentioned the comps in the Pro Channel,  and he is correct. All of them work very well. I still reach for them for general purposes.  

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I would have recommended the SOC, or all the same reasons Ken and mibby stated.. but I stayed  focused on just a stand alone comp.  And the C1 is just a really good, quick and easy comp. 

Clovis mentioned the comps in the Pro Channel,  and he is correct. All of them work very well. I still reach for them for general purposes.  

I did it due to the videos above, and just weighed in on those two.

Agree that the C1 is underrated, and often forgotten.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

I would have recommended the SOC, or all the same reasons Ken and mibby stated.

That should have read SOC, for all the same reasons...   

4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

The Scheps Omni is great

Yes it is. Hands down one of the best secrets out there, for these three reasons below.

10 hours ago, Zargg said:

The 3 compressors, and double de-esser makes it stand above the rest IMO.

9 hours ago, mibby said:

The saturation is pretty darn good too!

The Saturation is one of the best out there. 

To be able to get this on sale is really unbelievable. One of the best purchases I made.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

1176-alikes have bit me on the booty in years bygone due to inducement of yucky distortion noise when using those very fast attack settings. I had an experience where I was trying to figure out how I had messed up my DI'd bass recording and it turned out that my mistake was running it through an 1176 to even it out. I hadn't solo'd it while setting up the compressor, and then I kept hearing this krrrrkkk sound down in the bass when I put on my headphones. Like a rubbing voice coil, not musical in any way.

Even now that I know a lot more about compression I tend not to use attacks below 2 or 3 and that's when I'm really trying to shave an initial transient off something, like a cymbal ping. A compressor whose attack time range starts at a tenth of a mS and goes all the way up to 1.2 mS is not a thing that I easily find uses for.

I know I'm peeing into a windstorm of "no way, I'd be lost without my trusty 1176-alike." I fully admit that it's my own lack of experience and skill with them that prevents me from understanding the charm, but I have other options which seem to suit me better. If anyone wishes to enlighten me I welcome it. The usual sources seem to speak in generalities that leave me thinking "well, yes, I get that they can do that, but so will my other compressor that allows me to dial in 5mS and a 5.1:1 ratio if I want to, and it has a threshold knob. "

For that matter, I rarely find a use for that other famous flavor, LA/2A emulations. I use my T-Racks 670 for things other people would probably use an LA/2A for (glue and bus leveling), and a versatile precision compressor like MCompressor or MModernCompressor for things that other people would probably use an 1176 for. I used to long for a decent dbx 165 clone, but now I have elysia mpressor which is all that and a side of fries. It rules the danged school on snare and kick at least.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

1176-alikes have bit me on the booty in years bygone due to inducement of yucky distortion noise when using those very fast attack settings.

As far as I understand, 1176s are used when very fast attack times and the distortion they add are desirable, e.g. on rock drums where you might want an added edge/aggressive tone. For bass, you might want to try an LA/3A.

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I use my T-Racks 670 for things other people would probably use an LA/2A for (glue and bus leveling)

Either will sound good. LA/2A can sound good on vocals too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1