[Closed ] New Cakewalk web installer

39 minutes ago, MarianoGF said:

Sorry, I don't understand why the web installer/updater should be a replacement of BL Assistant. 

BA was primarily designed in Singapore for BandLab, the web-based DAW.

It was pressed into service as a CbB install/updater in order to have something on day one.

The new installer is being developed by the CbB team.

The new installer is primarily for new installs although it will update too.

Users with CbB 2020.09 and newer installed should use the in-app update process.

• Like 3

As I had the same problems with BLA to update CbB as others mentioned above, I gave this new updater a try. But my first attempt failed! Although the install ran without trouble, running CbB I got the following message:

20210924-Install-Error.png.0b8b696dae8addb7c97b86158a4d6a1f.png

Re-downloading the installer and trying again did not work either! Thus I rolled CbB back to 2021-04 and gave the installer another chance, this time with SUCCESS! 👍 (it loaded down the full CbB installer).

Looking at the first, failed installation try (I had renamed the folder to keep it) I suspect the installer had only downloaded the CbB update installer, although I had renamed the 'Cakewalk Core' folder to force a download of the full installer (for my offline system). This seems not to work (as with BLA)!

Though I like this new installer, I have some small improvement proposals:

• It would be cool if we could define the download location
  • For those having offline systems it would be helpful if a full download could be forced (check box or other button)
  • ... and the local installation could be skipped somehow (check box or button)

On 7/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi Folks,

We're working on a new web installer for Cakewalk and add/ons. This will be a replacement for installation via BandLab assistant.
This is a simple tool that downloads and runs the latest version of Cakewalk on your PC.

Please download and try this installer and let us know in this thread if you encounter any problems. Note that if you are already on the latest version it will not update it.

Note: If you already have cakewalk installed you can update directly from within the application by choosing Help | Check for Updates

EDIT: Link updated to Downloader version 1.0.0.26.

Great new downloader
When I use Bandalab downloader, due to frequent packets, due to the existence of filtering servers in my country, with the slightest problem and the smallest packet, the download process took days and was inconclusive, because Bandalab Assistant was not able to continue the download. I had to go through the download process several times to get the desired result, but now with your new downloader, the download was done without any problems in the first time of use. Thankful .

❤️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi Folks,

We're working on a new web installer for Cakewalk and add/ons. This will be a replacement for installation via BandLab assistant.
This is a simple tool that downloads and runs the latest version of Cakewalk on your PC.

Please download and try this installer and let us know in this thread if you encounter any problems. Note that if you are already on the latest version it will not update it.

Note: If you already have cakewalk installed you can update directly from within the application by choosing Help | Check for Updates

EDIT: Link updated to Downloader version 1.0.0.034.

Are you saying we need to uninstall CW and run this new installer? I see your "Note", but "Check for updates" tells me "You have the latest update" and SI-Drum Kit IS installed but it just won't play. Thanks for your help. 

Edited by Don Cobb
Didn't check "Send all replies".

6 minutes ago, Keni said:

Not that it affects me personally. I even had a decent experience with BA while I sweated recently.

...but

When is this app going official? It seems a long time of EA and still no release?

It will be a Christmas Present for us  Keni.

53 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

53 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I'm good with that!

...I was surprised when doing a new install (remotely) for a friend, I couldn't find this installer, only BA. EA for this was so long ago I just believed it must be available by now...

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi Folks,

EDIT: Link updated to Downloader version 1.0.0.034.

yes this is exactly what's needed  the bandlab assistant installer didn't download kept having  connections issues and never going to 5/5 even after 3 hours of trying to make it work with the web installer it downloaded in 10 mins

On 7/4/2021 at 5:02 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Update from within the app worked fine.

A suggestion: since it looks like the Cakewalk devs are the ones creating this: could the latest Cakewalk Reference Guide be included with it? As it stands, as far as I know the only way for a user to get it (maybe even know about it) is to come to the forum, which many people are not going to do.

It's such a valuable resource, one that I'm still referring to daily even after using Cakewalk for 3 years. It's so packed with great information. Theme Editor is included as an option with Cakewalk installs and I think that more people are likely to use the  Reference Guide.

It would allow for a Utilities menu entry to be able to launch it from wherever it's installed.

I am not sure that the documentation can be updated to match every release and its changes, however there has been a post about where to get the latest reference manual - from May of 2021 = and after I posted the link - see they are keeping up - Jan 4 of 2022 - great work

Edited by Mark Mitchell

On 7/3/2021 at 10:50 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi Folks,

EDIT: Link updated to Downloader version 1.0.0.038.

This installer worked great! I had attempted to uninstall/re-install Cakewalk,  but then discovered that I had only saved the "update" installers, when I actually needed the full installer to run. The update installers from BandLab Assistant had failed as they were dependent on an installed version of Cakewalk.

I found a link that would let me install Cakewalk on drive D: then my C: drive died on me. I trying to find the link to the installer that has the advanced option in it. This install doesn't appear to have that option. Can anyone tell me where it is located or the url for the installer please?