[Closed ] New Cakewalk web installer

On 7/5/2021 at 3:45 PM, Keni said:

But why can’t the need for the installer be removed entirely? Simply downloading Cake and authorizing (now internal)

It is primarily for new users and users who are having other install problems. If you don't have Cakewalk already installed there is no way to get the latest version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

53 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

It is primarily for new users and users who are having other install problems. If you don't have Cakewalk already installed there is no way to get the latest version.

Thanks Noel...

I gotcha. I knew that to be the current status. I was thinking it was toward complete separation where a direct d/l would be available. I guess not and no harm for sure. A very minor item in exchange for a copy of (argueably) the best DAW available? Great deal!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 12:50 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

...snip...

Note: If you already have cakewalk installed you can update directly from within the application by choosing Help | Check for Updates

I just tried to update from within Cakewalk, and it failed.

1941120654_connectionerror.PNG.b4bc84600ee75a99e1f24a258c67e434.PNG

Is there an IP I can ping or traceroute to help identify where it is failing>?

Or is this a temporary server issue, like I was having last night?

Edited by JohnK
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stridhur said:

Got an interesting error when you installer tried to write a file to my router internal memory! Pretty crappy setup, no wonder why Cakewalk fell on its sword and is a relic of the past

Nothing with our installers write anything to your router's internal memory. Sounds like you might have some sort of other system issue.

• Like 2

It hit me that it can be another explanation to it.

Usually we don't check our routers settings. Up until something goes wrong, then we check it.

When the installation went wrong. Did you then go to the routers settings and check if you could see something wrong there?

When you saw the attempt to hack your router, did you check the date it was made?

There's spiders out there that constantly scans the web in search for vulnerable devices to hack in to.

• 2 weeks later...

All worked well for me (on a virtual machine with fresh windows 10).

Some questions:

1) Any ETA on when this will become 'official'.

2) After install, saving is disabled until its activated. The popup for this points to https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002692134 - which implies people need to download and install the assistant anyway. That's a little confusing,  since they only really have to sign into their Bandlab account right?

Cheers

Hi @Creative Sauce it should be live soon. The delay is primarily in updating the website to link to this instead of BA where some stuff needs to be worked out. We also wanted to get more feedback and testing on the tool before releasing it.

Thanks for the update regarding the help. Yes that article needs to change as well, because as you point out activation is automatically handled from within Cakewalk itself by virtue of signing in.

• Like 2

YAY,  thank you for this!

I've been trying to update Cakewalk on my Win 10 Dell XPS for months now.  I've read many forums, watched YouTube vids and tried all of the various, restart, download, update drivers, disable firewall, disable antivirus, everything you can imagine and BandLab would just keep saying "Downloading 0/0" no matter how long I waited, how many times, restarts, etc. that I tried.  ( I don't know if it was because I was still on 2019.09 build 70 or what it was)

I really didn't want to uninstall everything and start from scratch so I'm so glad you created this solution.

Thanks again!

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vlefteris said:

I'm getting too this Downloading 0/0  when trying to update through BA. It was working fine in earlier versions. 

Several days ago, I tested the update-via-Bandlab Assistant method and for the first time, I was not able to get past the Downloading 0/0 hangup.

However, the CbB in-app update method continued to work very smoothly for me as it has for quite a while.  Did you try that route?

Also, it seems like a number of people have had success with the "New Cakewalk installer" announced and discussed in this thread. Did you try that route?

Edited by User 905133
to add "hangup" in the first line
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where are the old installation .exe files in case one needs to backtrack to older version for some reason, like if the latest upgrades stop working on Windows 7? And what about the off-line activation? Does the six months reactivation period apply to it as well? I hope you could abandon that reactivation policy.

Edited by Simple Verse

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.
Sorry, I don't understand why the web installer/updater should be a replacement of BL Assistant. Couldn't them work together? If not, BL Assistant should stop informing Cakewalk updates, cause is very confusing (mostly for new users) to click the green button and see that stucks forever into "Downloading... (0/0)" state.
Since I like BA, I personally would prefer both updating ways working together, so one can choose.

Just my point of view.
Thanks.

Edited by MarianoGF