[Closed ] New Cakewalk web installer

Hi Folks,

We're working on a new web installer for Cakewalk and add/ons. This will be a replacement for installation via BandLab assistant.
This is a simple tool that downloads and runs the latest version of Cakewalk on your PC.

Please download and try this installer and let us know in this thread if you encounter any problems. Note that if you are already on the latest version it will not update it.

Note: If you already have cakewalk installed you can update directly from within the application by choosing Help | Check for Updates

EDIT: The web installer has now been officially released. The link has been updated to point to the website directly where you can get it. Choose Download and then pick the Cakewalk installer instead of BandLab assistant.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

When I clicked on the link I received a notice (from Google Drive) the file can not be previewed and a second notice (from Google Drive) the file can not be scanned for viruses.  I downloaded anyhow and copied the installer to my desktop.

When I ran the installer I received a notice I did not have administrative privileges to run the file.  I also received a notice Windows Defender was scanning the file.  After the file scanned, it began the install.

I was glad to see the optional applications remain available for selection.

I was notified I have the current update and the installer closed.

I did NOT right click and enable administrator rights so I'm not sure why I received the notice but the installer still ran.

I was surprised Windows Defender initiated a scan.  That hasn't happened to me during a download or install in a long time.

I hope this is helpful.

I tried running the new installer (Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Download_Setup_1.0.0.013.exe) with

• 2021.01 build 98 installed 
  • 2021.04 build 175 installed

in both cases, the appropriate version of 2021.06 was downloaded and installed.

The installer did not detect the existing add-on installs. Maybe it should have some notation if previously installed but still allow re-install.

Neither gave me the chance to run the program after install completed

I wonder if the new installer should mention in-app updating if it detects a previous install?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

When I clicked on the link I received a notice (from Google Drive) the file can not be previewed and a second notice (from Google Drive) the file can not be scanned for viruses.  I downloaded anyhow and copied the installer to my desktop.

When I ran the installer I received a notice I did not have administrative privileges to run the file.  I also received a notice Windows Defender was scanning the file.  After the file scanned, it began the install.

I was glad to see the optional applications remain available for selection.

I was notified I have the current update and the installer closed.

I did NOT right click and enable administrator rights so I'm not sure why I received the notice but the installer still ran.

I was surprised Windows Defender initiated a scan.  That hasn't happened to me during a download or install in a long time.

I hope this is helpful.

The google drive warnings are normal with any exe download from there.
Re defender its likely because this is a new exe that hasnt been downloaded many times so it hasnt built what they call trust.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scook said:

I tried running the new installer (Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Download_Setup_1.0.0.013.exe) with

• 2021.01 build 98 installed 
  • 2021.04 build 175 installed

in both cases, the appropriate version of 2021.06 was downloaded and installed.

The installer did not detect the existing add-on installs. Maybe it should have some notation if previously installed but still allow re-install.

Neither gave me the chance to run the program after install completed

I wonder if the new installer should mention in-app updating if it detects a previous install?

@Jonathan Sasor is still working on some things to improve the add on management.

• Like 2

I initially reverted to 2021.01. Then I ran Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Download_Setup_1.0.0.013.exe.

I thought I was installing the installer, if you know what I mean, but it appeared to go ahead and install Cakewalk By Bandlab twice. I ended up with two separate "Setup has finished installing Cakewalk By Bandlab on your computer" dialogs on the screen, simultaneously.

I'm wrong, it hasn't finished. After I closed those two windows, it started a progress bar for installing Studio Instruments. I don't think I had those installed here on the laptop before so maybe that is expected. Still, apparently that install didn't start until I had closed the other two "finished" dialogs.

I will try and reproduce this.

UPDATE: I think it was a consequence of checking the Add-ins installation. When I left them un-checked (they are, after all, already installed) the installer seemed to work as expected.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

Update from within the app worked fine.

A suggestion: since it looks like the Cakewalk devs are the ones creating this: could the latest Cakewalk Reference Guide be included with it? As it stands, as far as I know the only way for a user to get it (maybe even know about it) is to come to the forum, which many people are not going to do.

It's such a valuable resource, one that I'm still referring to daily even after using Cakewalk for 3 years. It's so packed with great information. Theme Editor is included as an option with Cakewalk installs and I think that more people are likely to use the  Reference Guide.

It would allow for a Utilities menu entry to be able to launch it from wherever it's installed.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Worked as expected here (CbB installed on that particular machine already), although it was the full installer, of course, rather than the updater that you'd get by doing it in-app from CbB, so it was a much longer download than it needed to be. But for a new install, I'd expect this to be pretty bulletproof as opposed to the hit-and-miss Bandlab Assistant. :) 

I clicked the link and my experience was similar to those described above. In my case:

• Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Download_Setup_1.0.0.013.exe was downloaded to my Cakewalk install folder
  • When I launched the install file I was asked to chose add-ons
  • I have all installed and selected all but Melodyne because I have Melodyne Studio installed and didn't want to disturb that.
  • Next I was presented with a dialog announcing the latest version
  •  I clicked OK in the dialog, the installer terminated and my Cakewalk install folder opened.

If that was the expected behavior it worked fine. Since nothing was installed, the installer must have determined that the add-ons were also installed and up to date.

• Like 2

All worked as expected, but no update as already on the latest version .

My 2 cents would be:

• Include the reference guide as an add on
  • Show add-ons that are already installed
  • Show installed add-ons that have an update available (e.g. reference guide would go out of date over time)
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Excuse me for  any unintended display of ignorance, but why do we need this?

I thought recent efforts were to allow in-app updates (which I appreciate very much)?

I enjoyed working with CCC back in the day as there were so many products needing attention, but now it’s only Cake really. Is this preparation for adding more products? (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

My understanding is that this replaces the initial install that Bandlab Assistant is required for currently, and then once CbB is installed then you'd update in-app.

This and grabbing installers for machines without an internet connection.

All it needs is the logic to handle activation and BA would be redundant (at least for CbB download, install, activation and update).

• Like 3

Note: The installer in the original post has been updated to version 1.0.0.015. This version now allows for the install of add-ons on top of an existing up-to-date Cakewalk installation. It also runs the full installer in silent mode when updating an existing Cakewalk installation prior to the previous update. 

• Thanks 1

Ran against 2021.01 and 2021.04 again. Both updated OK, full installer for 2021.01 and update installer for 2021.04.

Ran Studio Instruments Add-on only against damaged SI install (missing files). Fixed OK.

Bonus, now I know which installer contains the demo files.

Would rather have them in a separate installer.

• Like 1