Default transparent/layered icons

Simon Wilkinson

Is there any way of finding a set of image files for the default icons that are in a layered or transparent format? I want to change the colour scheme of the default Tungsten theme and I can kind of work around it using GIMP to alter certain aspects but when you're working with flattened images there's always going to be instances where manipulating them causes pixelation and artefacts. 

I know I could create my own icons from scratch but I'm so familiar with the default ones, I just want to change the colour scheme and it would be much easier to work with the original icons in layered format. I just wondered if Cakewalk have ever made the default UI icons publicly available?

3 hours ago, Simon Wilkinson said:

Is there any way of finding a set of image files for the default icons that are in a layered or transparent format?

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately Bandlab doesn't make these types of resources available. So the only way I know of obtaining such without actually putting in the work to create them yourself, is to ask nicely if an established theme designer is willing to share here on the forum.

Personally, I have spent countless hours building libraries of multi-layered versions of many, if not most, of the Cakewalk graphics. Forgive me for not wanting to just give them away at this time. 

3 hours ago, Simon Wilkinson said:

I just want to change the colour scheme and it would be much easier to work with the original icons in layered format.

One trick you might find that meets your goals with minimal work is to find an existing theme with images that are close, and use your graphic editor's hue  transformation tools. Paint.Net allows you to take an image and move the values through RGB space; along with gamma and brightness, contrast.... you can achieve a lot with just a flat image and comprehensive transformation tools.

Thanks Colin, it's OK I'm happy to put in the work and create layered versions myself (in fact I've already made a good start on it). I just thought I'd check if there were any publicly available templates that would save me time. I'm pretty experienced with GIMP and Photoshop so I've already used a few colour shifting techniques but I'd like to get a bit more precise which is obviously easier when you can work on specific elements.

Presumably the Cakewalk team have got these resources somewhere and seeing as how they already provide a theme editor it would be nice if they'd be willing to provide the icon templates to encourage more themers to give it a try (hint hint!) :)

• Like 1