Make Exporting Stems Easier

Mark Morgon-Shaw

When we write music for production libraries and publishers we often have to deliver stems. Stems are groups of instruments  / sub mixes that when reassembled equal the full mix.

Having stems gives the publisher the ability to make custom mixes on demand from their clients by re-balancing or omitting certain parts and thus gives your music more chance of  placements and ultimately more potential to earn  money from those placements. 

A typical set of stems might be :  Drums - Bass - Guitars - Percussion -FX - Keys - Pads - Vocals - BVs for example.    

Many DAW owners complain about how long this process takes ( see below from a well know Publisher owner in a Composer Group on FB ) though to be honest it's not too bad in CBB  if you organise tracks into folders that represent the stems.

Two features would enormously improve this process, and they are:

1. Nested Folders ( which many have requested )

2. The ability to " Export All Folders "  when you do a final bounce.  At the moment the options are Entire Mix - Tracks - Buses - Clips - Hardware Ouputs so you have to manually select each folder one at a time , then wait till it's finished and do the next one. If we could select Folders as the Source Category and let it work through the queue this would be a real time saver for anyone who has to do this on a regular basis.  ( i.e. I write about 100 tracks per year, with an average of 7 stems )

image.png.ef54e482191c211965d6fdf441ffdfd1.png

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, kzmaier said:

I just wanted to do a stems export for each track?  Correct me if this is possible.

People tend to call those " Track Outs " when they are single tracks - As opposed to " Stems " which are generally groups of tracks

CBB can already export individual tracks which is hand if you are sending it be mixed elsewhere