Feature Request: Existing Audio Automation Writing Option

Prem

Hi, First time posting a feature request. I just thought of an idea where in a button "eg: Draw Nodes" with a dropdown to select options like "Volume" or "Pan" is required in a Track view

Once the "Draw Nodes" is clicked or armed, now when you click play, Nodes are drawn in Automation Lane as per the existing audio data available. Once you get the nodes of existing audio data, unarm the "Draw Nodes" and now  tweak the nodes in Automation Lane

Benefit of this :-

You'll get the nodes drawn  as per the existing Audio data.

It'll be very much handy to tweak basic information of Pan and Volume.

Speedy process.

I don't know how much is this feasible to incorporate it, I just thought of sharing it. When play is clicked we have meter information of both pan and volume.

Do you want cakewalk to draw nodes in as you record with the envelope itself? 

Don't get me wrong: I like the sound of it and the idea - but that will come with so many complications and not to mention a messy situation. 

You gona sit with thousands of nodes, as it will be written in by a fraction of a millisecond. That means, a node on ever fraction of a millisecond value. Even on a 128note or 1/4note - it'll be a messy situation. It'll bring limitation to every send knob, channel fader/slider, and effect - as it will lock up all the information. And having to work every node then, wouldn't be a speedy workflow at all. 

That's why the straight linear line was the best option with the invention of the Automation in every DAW and Software that uses Automation lanes. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

2 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Do you want cakewalk to draw nodes in as you record with the envelope itself? 

Don't get me wrong: I like the sound of it and the idea - but that will come with so many complications and not to mention a messy situation. 

You gona sit with thousands of nodes, as it will be written in by a fraction of a millisecond. That means, a node on ever fraction of a millisecond value. Even on a 128note or 1/4note - it'll be a messy situation. It'll bring limitation to ever send knob, channel fader/slider, and effect - as it will lock up all the information. And having to work every node then, wouldn't be a speedy workflow at all. 

That's why the straight linear line was the best option with the invention of the Automation in every DAW and Software that uses Automation lanes. 

Not with the record action but just an option to draw the nodes when playing. To avoid messy nodes coming in fraction of milliseconds, logic can always be written when to punch in the nodes considering these factors wav form in the clip, start-end of the clip, tempo, measures. but again its just an ideation. 

Edited by PremJ Hans

Extract Automation based on a Waveform ?  Is that what you mean - Interesting...not sure how practical 

Could be useful for taking that automation to another track, i.e. your stacked BVs could follow the volume automation extracted from the lead.

I like the idea and I can see applications for it - I think it might be a too ' out there ' for the Dev Team though

On 7/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, PremJ Hans said:

Not with the record action but just an option to draw the nodes when playing. To avoid messy nodes coming in fraction of milliseconds, logic can always be written when to punch in the nodes considering these factors wav form in the clip, start-end of the clip, tempo, measures. but again its just an ideation. 

I just did a test with this. You can draw in nodes before you record - record you melody or vocal and it works. Though, it doesnt work as how I had it in my head - LOL. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Although it's not the exact same scenario as what you're discribing, I've had something very weird happen just recently on my last song by total accident.. and for the life of me, I can't seem to duplicate it again.. and it would be very useful to me, just to know *why* it happened..

I've always used  track automation in one form or another on every project of mine in Cakewalk.. either for volume, panning, muting, turning effects on and off... pretty much, everything, but, I've usually had to enter nodes in the automation line manually, or by manually adjusting the automation with the track "Read and Write" buttons set appropriately, and the proper automation brought into focus..but, as mentioned above , if done manually, you'll end up with micro-second complex nodes added..which takes a bit of editing to smooth out these nodes...

But... in my last project, 

1. I had a midi synth on track #4 (OmniSphere), of which I froze the track. I added a Sonitus Compressor to this tracks FX block

2.  On track #5, my guitar track, I created a "send" to the Sonitus Compressor residing on Track #4 (OmniSphere), and adjusted the  Sonitus Compressor (side chained) to pull back the volume on the Omnisphere synth track when the guitar reached a certain threshold.

3. Now, and what I don't understand is, and can't duplicate it, somehow, a volume automation lane was created on the OmniSphere Synth track lane which reflects the volume changes introduced by the Sonitus Compressor (controlled by the guitar track). I did not manually create this automation lane, but, it perfectly controls the synth output, and it's changes are shown on the OmniSphere console slider during playback, as it should...

4. But, this is just regular "side_chaining" of the "Sonitus Compressor"...something I've done hundreds of times before. I've never had this produce an automation lane before.  I know I did not create this automation manually, because I would have added nodes to the automation lane to have the volume level for the synth set at "zero" until the song actually started

Wuz up here ??? It would be really useful to be able to duplicate this in the future... Anyone know ???

cakewalk support.jpg

Ok Guys! when I had this idea it was not related to copying automation information from one source to another or for setting automation before recording. I'm not into micing and neither my room is acoustically treated. I mostly produce and arrange my tracks with VSTi's  and I bounce each midi layer to individual audio layer. After mixing, the last thing I do is Automation, so some Vsti's synth module comes with their own rythmic panning and volume jumping, fading etc. To automate it as per my taste I open the lanes and draw nodes.  This is when I need a utility to punch in nodes of a particular track. It could punchin nodes in 1/32, 1/16 , 1/8 to minimize the messy nodes. once it punches the nodes then click control and raise and lower the intensity . This idea is not for buses but for individual instrument/synth tracks and volume and pan.