Imported midi tracks

Craig_a_h

Question

I'm new to DAWs and Cakewalk.  I have some midi files of music I created in music notation software.  I would like to bring them into CW and assign different VST instruments to them (other than TTS-1).  I can import the files just fine and play them through TTS-1, but when I try to assign a VST instrument to a track, nothing plays.  For instance, I imported a midi file and deleted all tracks except the bass, then created a new instrument track using CW's SI-Bass Guitar.  Sometimes I when I open the instruments' interface I can click the strings and get sound, and other times there is no sound.  And when I try to rout the bass midi track through the new instrument track, I get nothing.  I admit I'm clueless about this stuff, and I'm very frustrated at this point.  Can anyone help?

6 answers to this question

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't help.    I'm currently working with the tracks in the picture below, trying to figure things out.   The top track is the midi track I imported, and as you can see, the midi track is routed to the instrument track, which has ASIO4All as the output.   At this point, I don't get sound from any of it.  When I play the track there is no sound, and when I open the instrument properties (this picture of the bass guitar) there is no sound when I click the strings.

So now I just replaced the synth in the instrument track, setting it back to SI-Bass Guitar again, and everything works.  I can open the SI-Bass Guitar properties and get sound when I click the strings.  And when I play the track there's sound as well.  It works, but I feel like I just stumbled into a solution.   It seems I've had it working like this before, but then I bring in a new track or something and it stops working.  My understanding of how all this works is so lacking it's all trial and error, and when I can finally get it to work, I have no clue why it works.

Picture1.png.9c27a220484bae763de88e3aee623871.png

The fixes posted in my link must happen before the plug-in receives any data.

If the fixes are performed after the plug-in receives data that causes the synth engine shuts down, only restarting the project or replacing the plug-in (and applying the fix) will cause the plug-in to play again.

One gotcha with SI Bass that gets me every time, is the fact that it's transposed down an octave, while still only playing the range of a bass guitar.

In other words playing A2 in SI Bass will play the open A string on the bass (whereas on GM / GS you'd play A1 to get the same note).

If you play a A1 in SI Bass, there will be give silence because there's no lower octave A on a standard tuned bass guitar.

The answer is (for this issue anyhow) is to transpose the MIDI track up an octave.

4 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

One gotcha with SI Bass that gets me every time, is the fact that it's transposed down an octave, while still only playing the range of a bass guitar.

That may explain why SI-Bass has a built-in transpose control