Input and output names

John T

7 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Honestly, that is subjective depending on whether you prefer seeing stereo or mono first. I like the bold text but currently it isn’t easy to do. When we switch to the new menuing system in the future we can consider it.

I understand. When we do go there: can an option like that be added too? Giving the user the option to choose, if he/she wants the mono outputs first or last? 

21 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks for your feedback. In friendly names mode you can now also name the left, right and stereo components independently for completely control over the names. 

@Noel Borthwick Thanks for the improvements. Looking forward to going back to my own system of friendly names but now with the L|R|L+R feature. BUT: See addendum.

Thanks also to @John T for starting this thread and to everyone who addressed these issues both here and in the Early Access thread.

ADDENDUM (2021-07-14): Unfortunately there is no going back--Cakewalk insists on not allowing users to use the port names of their choice.  In case its not obvious, although the automatic port numbering as a prefix is gone, there's now an automatic suffix added.   

image.png.216d89e8912013088bd9e095e037da1a.png

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Noel Borthwick and @Jonathan Sasor

First of all, thank you for fixing the friendly naming by mono channel!! At least naming can now be separated by the "|" sign so Left and Right channels can be kept apart. This was a huge positive change!

Now, to my very important question, that many, many users are still asking them selves:

Why does the physical input and output channels NOT appear in Cakewalk as they do in every other DAW? No matter which other DAW we use, input channel 1 will be displayed as a mono channel, named 1. Channel 2 as 2, 3 as 3, and so forth.

In Cakewalk these are paired in stereo as 1+2, 3+4, 5+6 and so forth. Why? Why is it not possible to list them in the driver list as MONO channels, just like every other DAW does? I cannot understand this.

The question is highly relevant, as most music producers very well know often only mono channels are used for many types of hardware synths. There are tons of mono-output hardware synths with only one single mono output. Not every synth have a stereo out, and even if they do, many times only the mono(often the L channel) is used for recording for various reasons.

Because of this, the best would be to list every physical in- and output channels of the audio interfaces just like they are. Input 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on, separately. The same for the outputs. And THEN let the users "friendly name" them separately as they want.

It is very easy to friendly name channel 3 to Virus TI2 Left and channel 4 to Virus T2 Right, if needed, for example. It is much more problematic to take a 3-4 grouped channel and separate it later.

And if some users really liked the channels grouped as 1-2, 3-4 and so forth, then let them chose it by enabling it if they need. But PLEASE do separate the physical channels in the AUDIO settings so they display as they are, just like in other DAW's, please! Can't it be done?

Thanks!

Edited by pulsewalk