Jump to content
Morten Saether

2021.06 Feedback

Recommended Posts

Thanks! also for pitch wheel MIDI CC conversion and track templates input/output fixes. They were my bugs reports😀 so many thanks for these two along with other improvements and fixes of the release.

However, I still have a problem with fixed track templates and the new port naming. The problem its a bit weird. I have spent the last two days trying to isolate it in a reproducible manner, but it's not so easy because it seems to be dependent on the PC where CbB is installed (and not reproducible in VMs).Very strange and really I don't even understand how this could be possible, but seems so. It doesn't depend on Windows configurations, drivers installed, devices or CbB options...but the PC. I have done a lot of tests with clean hard disk bare metal images, VMs and so on excluding pretty much all. It's a bit complicated to explain all the tests I have done, so before writing a "book"😉 for explain all and even to keep things simple...I would like to gently ask, if you have some spare time, if you could do a simple test for check this, so I could better understand if others have this strange error too.

The error appears when a track template with vst multi-out is inserted in a project (kontakt or some drums VST are good examples).
However I have isolated a situation in which is visible (at least for me it is) and that should be reproducible by all, without additional VSTs (all is already included in CbB) and only in some seconds of time.

Try this on new project:
Insert from Track Templates-Soft Synth Track Templates - Session Drummer3-LinnDrumm Tight and warm
(in case it's not installed it's normal that gives you a " missing plug-in" error, ignore it and go on (ok), it doesn't matter for this test)
It should load:
SD3 MIDI track
input Session Drummer3 (but the first couple of ports named only "primary") 1 + 2 kick
input Session Drummer3 3+4 Snare
input Session Drummer3 5+6 HiHat
input Session Drummer3 7+8 Toms
input Session Drummer3 9+10 Overheads

ALL OK!

Now on a new project try this:
Insert the Instrument TTS-1
then add also Insert from Track Templates-Soft Synth Track Templates-Session Drummer3-LinnDrumm Tight and warm
(again, in case it's not installed it's normal that gives you a " missing plug-in error, ignore it and go on (ok), it deosn''t matter for this test)

It should load:
input 7 + 8 TTS-1 Kick (THIS is the ERROR!)
input Session Drummer3 (again the first couple of ports named only "primary") 1+2 Snare (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 3+4 HiHat (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 5+6 Toms (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 7+8 Overheads (the ports are moved by one position)

It happens also to you? You have to correct all the inputs stereo couples because by mistake it inserts the last one (in this example 7+8 of TTS1) of the VST instrument loaded first and then it moves all subsequent inputs stereo couples.

I upload also a small video of the problem. I hope it's clear.

Animation22.gif.47b528022275711e0abf26c93a09ee6b.gif

 

Many thanks to all for your help!

Edited by Ronny.G
Finally inserted the small video, there had been some size problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@TheSteven - the XLN Audio errors are likely down to a Windows update. I get this from time to time (got it today in fact).

Just opening the XLN Online Installer and logging in to your account should solve it.

I'm not sure what the issue with Synthmaster One is - it's working fine on all my PC's.  Maybe try re-installing it.

RE: XLN errors - that was the first thing I checked.  Still getting the XLN errors with 2021.06 BUT they are benign i.e. registry entries for the VSTs still get created and plugin still work within Cakewalk.

Reinstalling Synthmaster One has fixed the Synthmaster related errors.
Possibly a Windows update broke it as I didn't previously have an issue with it.

Still getting TTSLogger errors here & there - seems to happen to the same group of plugins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2021 at 9:24 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Hi @FrankP can you provide some more details about how you are updating? Are you running the updater from within cakewalk or using BandLab assistant?
It would be useful if you posted a screenshot. What is the exact path that its installing from?

Re the system vol this would definitely not be anything related to our update. Cakewalk doesn't control that.

Same here.

BandLab Assistend doesn't download anything. It shows "Downloading... (0/0)" making no progress.

Downloading from within Cakewalk works. After pressing "Install Now", a error message appears, telling me that the installer executable cannot be found. The displayed pathname is not correct, a special character in my user name (which is part of the download pathname) is corrupted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jürgen

DownloadComplete.png

pathname-with-special-char.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Jürgen B. said:

Same here.

BandLab Assistend doesn't download anything. It shows "Downloading... (0/0)" making no progress.

Downloading from within Cakewalk works. After pressing "Install Now", a error message appears, telling me that the installer executable cannot be found. The displayed pathname is not correct, a special character in my user name (which is part of the download pathname) is corrupted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jürgen

DownloadComplete.png

pathname-with-special-char.png

Have you tried to setup the download path cakewalk folder as an exception in the windows defender setup? Maybe the download gets quarantined for its lack of a signature…

Viel Erfolg!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ronny.G said:

Thanks! also for pitch wheel MIDI CC conversion and track templates input/output fixes. They were my bugs reports😀 so many thanks for these two along with other improvements and fixes of the release.

However, I still have a problem with fixed track templates and the new port naming. The problem its a bit weird. I have spent the last two days trying to isolate it in a reproducible manner, but it's not so easy because it seems to be dependent on the PC where CbB is installed (and not reproducible in VMs).Very strange and really I don't even understand how this could be possible, but seems so. It doesn't depend on Windows configurations, drivers installed, devices or CbB options...but the PC. I have done a lot of tests with clean hard disk bare metal images, VMs and so on excluding pretty much all. It's a bit complicated to explain all the tests I have done, so before writing a "book"😉 for explain all and even to keep things simple...I would like to gently ask, if you have some spare time, if you could do a simple test for check this, so I could better understand if others have this strange error too.

The error appears when a track template with vst multi-out is inserted in a project (kontakt or some drums VST are good examples).
However I have isolated a situation in which is visible (at least for me it is) and that should be reproducible by all, without additional VSTs (all is already included in CbB) and only in some seconds of time.

Try this on new project:
Insert from Track Templates-Soft Synth Track Templates - Session Drummer3-LinnDrumm Tight and warm
(in case it's not installed it's normal that gives you a " missing plug-in" error, ignore it and go on (ok), it doesn't matter for this test)
It should load:
SD3 MIDI track
input Session Drummer3 (but the first couple of ports named only "primary") 1 + 2 kick
input Session Drummer3 3+4 Snare
input Session Drummer3 5+6 HiHat
input Session Drummer3 7+8 Toms
input Session Drummer3 9+10 Overheads

ALL OK!

Now on a new project try this:
Insert the Instrument TTS-1
then add also Insert from Track Templates-Soft Synth Track Templates-Session Drummer3-LinnDrumm Tight and warm
(again, in case it's not installed it's normal that gives you a " missing plug-in error, ignore it and go on (ok), it deosn''t matter for this test)

It should load:
input 7 + 8 TTS-1 Kick (THIS is the ERROR!)
input Session Drummer3 (again the first couple of ports named only "primary") 1+2 Snare (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 3+4 HiHat (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 5+6 Toms (the ports are moved by one position)
input Session Drummer3 7+8 Overheads (the ports are moved by one position)

It happens also to you? You have to correct all the inputs stereo couples because by mistake it inserts the last one (in this example 7+8 of TTS1) of the VST instrument loaded first and then it moves all subsequent inputs stereo couples.

I upload also a small video of the problem. I hope it's clear.

Animation.gif.zip 1.3 MB · 0 downloads

Many thanks to all for your help!

EDIT: I failed to insert directly the animated .gif, it's probably slightly too big. In the meantime I attach it as .zip. If I can, I will try to reduce it and then I will upload it again later

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jürgen B. said:

Same here.

BandLab Assistend doesn't download anything. It shows "Downloading... (0/0)" making no progress.

Downloading from within Cakewalk works. After pressing "Install Now", a error message appears, telling me that the installer executable cannot be found. The displayed pathname is not correct, a special character in my user name (which is part of the download pathname) is corrupted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jürgen

DownloadComplete.png

pathname-with-special-char.png

@Jürgen B. The issue is with Unicode characters in your user name. Well look into it and fix for next update. For now you can manually run the downloaded installer and that should get you going.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, michheld said:

Have you tried to setup the download path cakewalk folder as an exception in the windows defender setup? Maybe the download gets quarantined for its lack of a signature…

Viel Erfolg!

No that isn’t the problem. We’re simply not dealing with a unicode characters in the user name somewhere. We’ll fix it.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Jürgen B. The issue is with Unicode characters in your user name. Well look into it and fix for next update. For now you can manually run the downloaded installer and that should get you going.

@Noel Borthwick Thank you! Manual installation worked. First I was confused because it is a guided installation (I expected a silent installation), but the installation worked smoothly. Everything seems to be ok now. Thanks again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best improvement in this update: reorder multiple tracks simultaneously.

Thank you for implementing this small yet invaluable usability enhancement!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Milton Sica I have reported about a possible error and asked if others have the same error when performing the same operations. This is to confirm that there is actually a problem (since I can't fully isolate it considering that it occurs in a very strange way). A situation therefore completely different from what you quoted.

However a little ago I also added the video of the problem, which I had not been able to upload previously. Now it is clearer what is happening.

Thanks to all

 

Edited by Ronny.G
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 horas atrás, Noel Borthwick disse:

@Milton Sica Eu não estou em que contexto você está citando essa mensagem aqui. @Starship Krupa está dizendo que ele solicitou as mudanças que fizemos e valida que as mudanças estão funcionando bem para ele.

Citei o usuário porque acho que sua abordagem faz parte do que está sendo falado neste tópico.

Perdoe-me se não é o mesmo assunto.

Minha intenção era ajudar o usuário no que foi dito no tópico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow,  i didn't know my post was going to cause this affect. 

Sorry Noel.

 

Edited by jesse g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great update as always!

Of note on the new Duplicate Clips as linked clips command:

Quote

To duplicate the selected clip(s) as linked clips, press CTRL+SHIFT+D.

(or indeed on any new addition with a new default Key Binding)

If you have, as I did, a custom key binding already assigned to the new addition, the new one will not work, i.e.  your custom binding prevails.

I had CTRL+SHIFT+D assigned to something and had forgotten. When trying and trying to get the keystrokes to work with Duplicate as Linked, nothing (apparently) was happening. I had to go into Preferences to route out the double binding and remove it in order to get this new CTRL+SHIFT+D default to work.

I do wish there was some kind of protocol in place to deal with the multiple bindings issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Audio files not being saved to backup drive or another folder.

If you load in a project with a missing audio file, "skip" the missing file and do not delete the placeholder audio file, any further saves to that project file will not save ANY of the audio files (I had a reason to keep the placeholder). I noticed this when I was saving the project file to a backup drive. I don't know if this has always been a bug or surfaced in a recent update. I'm on 2021.06.050.

I have had Cakewalk/Sonar through all it's iterations going back many, many years and have never noticed this happening before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

For anyone having issues downloading updates via BandLab assistant please try our new web installer that will ultimately replace BA for all installs.
Note: If you already have cakewalk installed you can update directly from within the application by choosing Help | Check for Updates


 

Hi Noel, I tried several times to update my 04.2021-version via the 'Check for Updates'. I always get this message: 'Connection error: Search for updates not successful. Please try again later.'

Of course I am online... Do you have any hint for me to manage this challenge? It's the first time I see this.

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

Edited by p-w-m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...