2021.06 Feedback

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

FWIW, you can kind of do this already if you've got JBridge installed by checking "Load with JBridge Wrapper" within the plugin's options.

Nice trick! 😀

Is there any way that kind of protection could be feasible to implement as default behavior in Cakewalk, to protect from all plugins? I suppose it might be to much overhead...

Hi, after the update it seems that I get performance issues. Audio dropouts and pops and crackles from vst’s that have worked perfectly before. Before I could run 60+ tracks with lots of plugins without problems. Now it struggles with only a few tracks and a handfull of plug ins. Have made no other changes to my computer or setup.

please advise

• Sad 1

I have a song that I started in 2008 using Platinum. Whenever I revisit an old song, I copy the tracks into my new template with current audio FX and such.

I created a new CWP and then opened the old CWP, selected all the tracks I wanted and chose "Copy Special" and checked tempo, markers, etc. When I pasted this into the new CWP the tempo didn't get copied over. I tried it a few times with the same result. Has any one else seen this problem with old Sonar CWP's? I'm using the latest CbB

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gmp said:

I have a song that I started in 2008 using Platinum. Whenever I revisit an old song, I copy the tracks into my new template with current audio FX and such.

I created a new CWP and then opened the old CWP, selected all the tracks I wanted and chose "Copy Special" and checked tempo, markers, etc. When I pasted this into the new CWP the tempo didn't get copied over. I tried it a few times with the same result. Has any one else seen this problem with old Sonar CWP's? I'm using the latest CbB

I guess this is another fallout of the tempo track! 😄 That's why I fear to use newer versions!

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, marled said:

I guess this is another fallout of the tempo track! 😄 That's why I fear to use newer versions!

I've been using Cakewalk since 1992 and learned it best to have safeguards set up when updating to a new version or a new Win version. I keep my C drive lean with only Apps and OS and make image files of my C drive with Acronis or Macrium Free. 

Countless times over the years I've had a good stable system and an upgrade caused problems. Most of the times when that happened I just reverted my C drive back to a previous state where everything worked great.

Whenever I install a new update, I also turn back on my Win Updates and manually update all Win updates. I then make an image file of that. What's really nice about CbB is that you can save your Cakewalk Core folder and rename it Cakewalk Core 2100.06 and then update CbB. Then if you suspect a bug you can just run the previous version and compare the 2 versions. 

Because of a change a few months ago it's best to use scook's Launchpad to run a previous version. You can also make a copy of CbB in Launchpad before updating.

Recently there have been very good improvements to the rollback feature where you can rollback to the previous version without making backups and such.

Many bugs only affect some users because of the way we all use CbB differently and have different configurations. So I've been updating as soon as a new one is available, since I've been enjoying really good stability for a long time.

In general it's best to have the latest CbB and Win 10, because eventually you'll run into problems with an outdated system. I know some have carried it to extremes with still running Win 7 and Sonar. 

It does make life simpler to have a stable predictable system, yet with the safeguards I outlined you can guard against disasters like we all experience at times in computer-land. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Hi. This is a feature request.  It would be nice to be able to disable the automatic information display box when drawing envelopes in piano roll view.  It gets old pretty fast to try to draw an accurate line only to be clouded by the information display box.  It's like drawing in the dark sometimes.  Thank you.

On 8/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, gmp said:

I tried the following and it worked for me:

1. Create a project in Platinum with an audio track, and some tempo changes. Saved the project.
  2. Opened the project in CbB
  3. Created a new project
  4. In the old project, CTRL + A then Edit->Copy Special with all options checked.
  5. CTRL + V in the new project.

Were you trying to copy from Platinum itself into CbB ?    I can understand that not working, as it needs to be loaded into CbB in order to convert the tempos into a tempo track.

21 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I tried the following and it worked for me:

1. Create a project in Platinum with an audio track, and some tempo changes. Saved the project.
  2. Opened the project in CbB
  3. Created a new project
  4. In the old project, CTRL + A then Edit->Copy Special with all options checked.
  5. CTRL + V in the new project.

Were you trying to copy from Platinum itself into CbB ?    I can understand that not working, as it needs to be loaded into CbB in order to convert the tempos into a tempo track.

I did something similar. Platinum song was created in 2008 I did open it in CbB, created new project. I selected only the first 6 tracks in the old CWP careful to use Copy Special and check the boxes. Went to new CWP and pasted - same result no tempo change copied over.

I looked at the Inspector Tempo Track and it only has the tempo BPM that was in my template, not the one from the old CWP. I just tried the whole procedure again with the same result 

I never start from scratch with a new project. I use templates. I did for Platinum and also for CbB. 

9 hours ago, dahjah said:

How can I roll back to previous version? I need to check so I can try and narrow down this problem I've been having with Exports as nothing I've tried has worked at all.

Is it still doing the same in the latest updates? 

You can try this release 

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/28721-202104-update-1-updated-17-may-2021/

Hi -

I've tried several times to copy (Copy/special+Paste Special) midi data, tempo, arranger tracks and markers from one project to another. Both were created with latest build (058).

I do check all the appropriate boxes in the related dialogs both in the master project and then in the receiving project, but have no luck: only midi and markers data are copied, but the tempo and the arranger tracks do not transfer...

Not sure if this is a problem related to the current version. Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks -

6 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

Hi -

I've tried several times to copy (Copy/special+Paste Special) midi data, tempo, arranger tracks and markers from one project to another. Both were created with latest build (058).

I do check all the appropriate boxes in the related dialogs both in the master project and then in the receiving project, but have no luck: only midi and markers data are copied, but the tempo and the arranger tracks do not transfer...

Not sure if this is a problem related to the current version. Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks -

Can you post a video of you trying?  Make sure you have your Select Module set to "Large" so its clear what options are set there.

I've tried to reproduce this issue, and can't.  It works every time for me.

Don't know how to capture a video of my screen, but I took snaps of the steps I followed.

Images 1-2 are the master project, selecting and copying (special)

Images 3-5 are the receiving project, blank + pasting + Results.

In the receiving project (Image 5) , the tempo is wrong, and there is a missing Arranger Track. Sometimes the arranger tracks and tempos are not pasted at all.

Thanks for your help!

Imagen1.png

Imagen2.png

Imagen3.png

Imagen4.png

Imagen5.png

17 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

Don't know how to capture a video of my screen, but I took snaps of the steps I followed.

Images 1-2 are the master project, selecting and copying (special)

Images 3-5 are the receiving project, blank + pasting + Results.

In the receiving project (Image 5) , the tempo is wrong, and there is a missing Arranger Track. Sometimes the arranger tracks and tempos are not pasted at all.

Thanks for your help!

Inter-project copy/paste is more involved, and goes through a more complicated process, and it looks like there's a few issues here.

1. Tempo 

I think the issue here is that the tempo envelopes in the tempo track aren't specifically selected. 

The easiest way to do this is to Select All ( CTRL + A ), then hold down CTRL and unselect the thing you don't want in the selection.  You can modify the selection range either using the mouse on the toolbar, or by typing in the selection extents into the selection module.

We've addressed this to an extent in the latest 2021.09 EA, but I'd still recommend making sure the tempo track is selected before copying.  The fix in 2021.09 was primarily to support copying/pasting from SONAR, where tempo map entries are pasted but no tempo track envelope was... this ends up re-building the tempo track from the tempo map, which could end up with more tempo nodes during the conversion.

There's probably something we can do here in a future release to ensure the actual tempo nodes are selected when you're doing a copy special.

2. Multiple Arranger Tracks

It looks like inter-project copy/paste doesn't work with multiple arranger tracks.  It's trying to paste all the sections to a single arranger track, and failing on any sections that clash.  For the meantime, just copy one arranger track at a time, making each track the active track before copying, and creating a new active track in the destination project before pasting.

I'm on vacation this week, so won't have a chance to look at this, but I will look into it on my return.

25 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Inter-project copy/paste is more involved, and goes through a more complicated process, and it looks like there's a few issues here.

1. Tempo 

I think the issue here is that the tempo envelopes in the tempo track aren't specifically selected. 

The easiest way to do this is to Select All ( CTRL + A ), then hold down CTRL and unselect the thing you don't want in the selection.  You can modify the selection range either using the mouse on the toolbar, or by typing in the selection extents into the selection module.

We've addressed this to an extent in the latest 2021.09 EA, but I'd still recommend making sure the tempo track is selected before copying.  The fix in 2021.09 was primarily to support copying/pasting from SONAR, where tempo map entries are pasted but no tempo track envelope was... this ends up re-building the tempo track from the tempo map, which could end up with more tempo nodes during the conversion.

There's probably something we can do here in a future release to ensure the actual tempo nodes are selected when you're doing a copy special.

2. Multiple Arranger Tracks

It looks like inter-project copy/paste doesn't work with multiple arranger tracks.  It's trying to paste all the sections to a single arranger track, and failing on any sections that clash.  For the meantime, just copy one arranger track at a time, making each track the active track before copying, and creating a new active track in the destination project before pasting.

I'm on vacation this week, so won't have a chance to look at this, but I will look into it on my return.

Thanks a lot!

I understand now what’s going on.

This is a good workaround for the meantime.

The reason I needed to make it work is because I’m getting into remote recording and it’s easier to work from a separate project with identical tempo maps and arranger tracks than the master project.

Thanks again -

Hopefully this will be fixed in a new version, where if you select tempo in the copy Special, it will indeed copy the tempo track + envelope. Since I almost never have more than 1 tempo is a song this is no big problem for me.

The browser.

It now starts up with the audio fx tab. When did this happen?

It always used to start with the instrument tab. How do i get it back to do that.

Workspace is "none" and i'm not using screen sets or mix recall.

Funny enough i didn't react at first but got tired of changing to instruments every time i start Cakewalk.

Edited by Kurre
Correction.