2021.06 Feedback

On 7/2/2021 at 1:19 PM, paulo said:

On this PC I already have 2021.04 installed.

Apparently it's still downloading.......almost 30 minutes now....

FWIW I have no intention of ever signing in using any method other than my bandlab account, I don't even use google or facebook or whatever, so do I really need this? Can I just bin it?

You might find this thread informative:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/24991-microsoft-edge/#comment-207043

On 8/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

Stay as far away from those 5000 series. They're a real pain in technology. It's only good for games - though there's been complaints from certain gamers too, bringing this to light. These complaints however, does not come close to those from graphic designers, video production and that from of course -  music producers. 

Too late 🙂. I've ryzened up.  Found a deal for a 5800X ROG STRIX system, whose former owner mines crypto, so he bought it for the graphic card, which he couldn't find otherwise, and sold everything else for about 60% of what it would have normally cost, even second hand. I had been mulling over it for a while, so just got it. The only problem is I have a gen2 graphic board, and, for some reason the legacy mode doesn't get saved in the motherboard UEFI, which means I can't mount the system until I get a gen4 graphic board, which is expensive, too, and I have no budget for it now. I don't game, just need it to run video. So the new, almost complete system - with only the graphics missing - has been looking at me for two weeks, and looks like it's about to do some more looking.

I've only heard great things about 5th gen Ryzens. I can't imagine it being worse, architecture wise, than my current FX - which is not bad, only outdated and underpowered for new gen plugins, especially CLAs, which I use a lot of.

The point is that the optimization for AMD altogether might be something to look over.

3 hours ago, RobertWS said:

I'm not that bothered as the PC in question here is not my DAW PC which is running an older version and offline anyway. It just seemed to be taking an excessive amount of time to install which is why I brought it up. Anyway, FWIW out of curiosity I just installed the latest update and it seems fine in the sense that I can open a project, play it and look at what's new, if anything, which is the only reason I install new versions on this pc.

Don't know if this is a bug | OR | new enhancement to groove clips that doesn't show the indicators that it's ready to be looped (grooved) out.

There's nothing on this in the UPDATE 3 overview. 

Honestly? I actually like it this way. Have to admit though: I dont normally use groove - I Ctrl+D everything. Dont know what made me use groove today. So, I'm just putting this out here, in case of it being a BUG. 

This will definitely confuse a lot of members who make use of this feature. 

3 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Corners of the clip become rounded when converted to a groove clip, still works in latest update as it always has

I just checked and it's fine here too.

One weird thing that did just happen was that when I tried to open CW to look at this it wouldn't open. Run as admin started to open it (first splash screen and then it disappeared followed by nothing. Nothing showing up in task manager.  Rebooted and then it opened. Never seen that before.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, paulo said:

One weird thing that did just happen was that when I tried to open CW to look at this it wouldn't open. Run as admin started to open it (first splash screen and then it disappeared followed by nothing. Nothing showing up in task manager.  Rebooted and then it opened. Never seen that before.

Most likely Windows Defender. It's completely idiotic. It's deleted or disabled more of my software than pretty much all the viruses I've encountered, except the ogdo. I like to use portables, whenever I can, and it deletes or blocks all of them, on every occasion, and sometimes it's the same behavior you've reported. Sometimes the exe is open in Task Manager, but no GUI is allowed to open. Other times, it closes everything altogether.

It even tries to delete itself, or the svchost - and that on a clean install. I've disabled the automatic scan from the policies, and now it tells me it needs to scan, and if I ignore it long enough it starts doing it by itself, and still deletes stuff. It's almost obsessive-compulsive. Doesn't ask, doesn't warn. Doesn't care, doesn't consider what you say. It's got some mad cow in it.

Edited by Olaf
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, paulo said:

Some weird Voodoo is going on with windows and this 2021.06 build? So this is with only me? 

Headache!

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Confused 1

So, after spending about an hour trying to figure out why Ripple Edit wasn't correctly affecting the Tempo map, I realized there was an update to Cakewalk that specifically should address that issue. 

That's great and all, except I can't get Cake to update.  BA just perpetually shows "Downloading...0/0" after hitting update.  I've dealt with this for yet another hour.

My computer is fully updated, I've restarted it twice, I've killed and restarted BA, I've uninstalled and reinstalled BA twice, Windows defender is turned off, I don't run any other AV, and my internet is just fine (gig internet with no current issues).

Pretty frustrated right now, not gonna lie...especially considering the perpetual and historical issues with BA in general.

Can anybody direct link the installer for the newest available version of Cakewalk, please? All I'm seeing are installers for rollback versions.

Edited by AxlBrutality

9 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

That's great and all, except I can't get Cake to update.  BA just perpetually shows "Downloading...0/0" after hitting update.  I've dealt with this for yet another hour.

CbB 2020.09 and newer have an in-app update function. Use it instead of BA

For older releases try the Early Access version of the new Cakewalk Web Installer

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

So does this render BA pretty much obsolete at this point? Or do we need it installed still as an authenticator?

In-app activation was introduced with 2020.11

The new Cakewalk Web Installer handles new installs (and updates just like CbB does now)

The only feature still missing is access to the BandLab Loop library which I believe will be included in CbB.

At that point, CbB will not rely on BA for anything.

• Like 1

After installing the most recent update, I noticed that the first beat of the metronome sounds off during playback, but every other beat sounds normal. It only does this on the WASAPI Shared driver mode, which is what I usually have it on when I'm not recording guitars. The same problem isn't present when I have it on MME and ASIO driver modes. Nothing serious, but I thought I should post about it anyway to see if anyone else has this problem, or knows of a solution. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scook said:

In-app activation was introduced with 2020.11

The new Cakewalk Web Installer handles new installs (and updates just like CbB does now)

The only feature still missing is access to the BandLab Loop library which I believe will be included in CbB.

At that point, CbB will not rely on BA for anything.

Thanks.  I never used the in-app "Update now" function until now because I just kinda assumed it still used BA when actually updating, idk.  Lol.

I don't have a need for the loop library, so I'll go ahead and uninstall BA then.  Thanks again!

Another bug in this builld. 

Previously: when I've set my LinkPFsendMute to "True" I couldn't hear the effects on a bus, if you mute or solo the routed/group Aux track - which have always been my preferred setting. 

In this build, it does not obey the selection on Mute with an Aux track. It obey's the selection on solo only. Meaning: When I solo the Group-Aux track - no effects are heard. When I mute the Group-Aux track you hear them. 

For basic install with-in the  CbB program

Win 10 was effortless and fast - as usual.

Win 7 required that I signed into Bandlab first - then it was equally effortless and fast. No update to bandlab was required.

This coming from 2021-06  build 53  to  build 58.

Here I go again with three requests for visual features:

* The option to change the default coloring scheme from black background/colored waveform to colored background/black waveform.

* Waveform outline color available to change in preferences/colors, or waveform outline changed automatically to black if the coloring scheme is changed as in the first request.

* Some level of opacy/transparency in the grid lines when those are in front of clips.

Edited by giovannibuchelli
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2